What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratus in RV 8

gator

Thinking of getting Stratus and wondering about mounting locations in an 8.
Does anyone have experience with Stratus in an RV-8? Where did you place it for best reception, heat protection, etc?

Status

I just Velcro mine to the glare shield. It works but the fan is always on does not seem to be a problem. I remove it when parked in the sun and lay it in the footwell with a rag over it.

Thanks for the info. Have you tried it in any other locations? Stratus says you have to get ADSB info from ground stations. Does the ADSB work ok from the glare shield?

Stratus location

Hey Dick.....I use one in an RV8..... I have placed it on the glare shield on days when it's a little cloudy or early morn flights. Most of the time I use the external antenna I bought for $50 and set that on the glare shield and place the Stratus in the shade on the right shelf by the gear tower. This keeps the fan from running and unit from overheating. I haven't noticed any diff in ADS-B reception. You will LOVE the Stratus!!!

Thinking of getting Stratus and wondering about mounting locations in an 8.
Does anyone have experience with Stratus in an RV-8? Where did you place it for best reception, heat protection, etc?

Are you talking a Stratus II?

Stratus II

I have not tried any other position because I did not buy the antenna. It works fine I just notice the fan on a lot.

Back