What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Spar countersinking

HAL Pilot

Well Known Member
Hey Folks

Reading page 08-04 Step 6 has us machine counter sinking the middle 9 holes on the flanges.

Then on page 08-08 step 4 it says to machine countersink the holes in the spars that correspond to the holes in the skin.

Isn't this all the holes in the spar flanges? The reason I ask is I started two holes early on the "9" hole step, but it seems like a non issue because they all get countersunk.

What am I missing?

Pete

The middle 9 holes

Hey Folks

Reading page 08-04 Step 6 has us machine counter sinking the middle 9 holes on the flanges.

Then on page 08-08 step 4 it says to machine countersink the holes in the spars that correspond to the holes in the skin.

Isn't this all the holes in the spar flanges? The reason I ask is I started two holes early on the "9" hole step, but it seems like a non issue because they all get countersunk.

What am I missing?

Pete

The middle 9 holes get countersunk to a flush depth. There is no skin on top of them. The other holes get countersunk .007" deeper because they mate with the skin in those areas. See section 5.5 on the right side of the page, two paragraphs up from the Dimpling heading.

Thanks for the section 5.5 reference. I went back and looked at it again....I knew the countersink had to be deeper but was not sure how deep. Was planning on using some scrap to test fit. After reading the section, I now know that I’m looking for something in the neighborhood of seven “clicks” on my countersink tool.

Back