What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Run to Fun

Vlad

Well Known Member
Based on a weekend success previous year I decided to fly to Sun-n-Fun again. A plan was expeditiously made and I launched on late Friday afternoon southbound. I am Day VFR only and based on moderate headwind I calculated by twilight I could reach North Carolina.

Not much traffic. A medevac on a mission. He fishfinds me I see him everybody happy.

Passed Philly PA

and Massey Aerodrome MD...

Squeezed in between Patuxen restricted airspaces

and in three hours arrived at Lumberton, NC KLBT.

There was a massive repavement job at Lumberton airport and I have to taxi long way.

A random RV back taxi good sign. :)

There are several motels within walking distance in Lumberton. I got to the closest. Can't beat a rate of $39.99.

Tomorrow will be a day of fun.

Tomorrow came fast. A cup of coffee with some biscuits leftovers (not worthy the picture) and up I go before wind and turbulence start.

Still nice smooth air and a grass field on the way. Who could resist?
Green Sea aerodrome! Huge! Do I look like a raptor? :D

From there I altered my course toward Myrtle Beach. Passed couple quirky things and joined the shoreline.

I am not a sailor but I love how this guy parks his yacht .

Nice sand but too rough for my little wheelies. Let's keep going...

Somebody always follows.

Somebody is watching from abandoned light house.

He is sitting right there on 4th floor bottom left with binoculars. Look, see?

Forts of Charleston, SC. The winds are picking up and turbulence starts.

It's still early everybody sleeps on Saturday let me take a closer look at USS Yorktown and her battle group.

Sweet!!

Time to leave before the old fort activates its cannons...

Last edited:
Vlad,
Thanks for picture #2! What's so important about a picture of PHL you ask?

Well, back in 2002 I was lead architectural draftsman on the team that designed the large hangar on the far right for US Airways (the big dark blue one with the gray roof). First hangar in the USA specifically designed for the (at the time) still relatively new Airbus A-330. Nice to see the place is still standing and active (it was built on reclaimed swamp land, so there were no guarantees...). Brings back some good memories.

Enjoy SnF!

glad i got a chance to chat at snf before the return trip north. looked like you had a fun night out in lakeland with your rv hotel host. see you in june.
:)

Thanks for kind words guys.

... After Charleston I kept following the shore southbound but something was bothering me. Too much coffee in the morning and Hobbs already passed 1.5 hour leg. Airports were far and between so I chose a desolate sand bar on an island and made a precautionary landing.

Stretched the legs, completed a leaky business and before tide returned I was out of there.

Another hour and I am in Palatka FL pouring $2.99 avgas in flanked by two beautiful Panthers.

They were returning from SnF. Beautiful aircrafts! One of the builders Bob is a repeat offender he also completed an RV4 and a Rocket brilliant guy.

Final push and I am joining the sequence over Lake Parker. It was quite windy and everybody was advised to turn earlier. A Cirrus popped up on base at 1,500' just before me tower turned him in and cleared to land. Boy the guy is superb pilot. I would never slice that much altitude in such a short time. Welcome to SnF all!

Can you guess what's inside this Xmas sock? Thanks Glen.

I arrived around noon on Saturday. By the time I parked and registered they ran out of passes oh well got a free entry I guess. At least I have a permit to enter the field when leaving on Sunday morning. My RV had an excellent parking spot probably the best on the field. Behind the factory demonstrator facing a huge movie screen, flanked by an award winner and by a route where all celebrities show.

I watched airshow from here then migrated to a VIP section. It's great to have right connections...

After the show we visited my good old friend Rich. He and Charlie Kuss brought me here in 2009 to volunteer with sheet metal workshop. I slept in that camper 7 years ago.

Last edited:
Then we drove to Tampa. The green egg was put to work.

Obligatory pictures. Tenderloin and cognac.

I met a new RV10 builder (hi Mark) and we talked till late.

Freshly primed ribs. Look how they are marked.

The day ended here. Right by the RV10 empennage.

Tomorrow I am departing northbound.

Early Sunday morning I entered the airfield showing my departure pass. That would be a tough day getting home today. Departed Lakeland, flew for about an hour and landed. Need to relax a bit. Thanks for the fruits Donna.

Keystone FL thanks Jeff for pointing this field out. I am #4 in line for gas.

Another hour another stop. Then one more. All things look quirky or they really are :D

Then I just pushed it wx was perfect. Several quick stops and I am back in NJ. What a great way to spend a weekend!

Last edited:
Thanks again Vlad for the words of encouragement. The flight pics alone would be enough.

Anytime you want to move the marker line, let me know.

--Mark

So love the utility and Fun Vlad gets out of that machine

Thanks for the pics, sitting here at office working wondering will it ever get done.... my RV 7 that is. Yes it will cause i want to grow up and be just like VLad going to all these places i say. :)

Thanks again for the pics:):):)

Back