What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL-30 display

rmcgann

Hi folks,

The LED display of the SL-30 is covered by a polarised sheet and clear protective plastic cover. These components have started to peel from the display and will soon separate completely. Does anyone know how to rebond these to the screen, or will I be reduced to some sticky tape or a very expensive return for repair of a trivial problem?

Cheers
RV-10
VH-XRM
Flying in oz.

You can order these plastic displays from Garmin, about $30 US, I believe. Just pull the old one off and stick on the new one. They come with the sticky back--just peel off the backing and stick on. Better for you guys than sending the unit back to the States, I guess! I'm on my second one on my SL30 in 10 years flying.

By the way, I didn't have any success trying to re-bond the old one, pretty much a waste of time. I think the heat gets to them more than anything else and they get deformed as well, so you really need to get a new one.

Last edited:
SL-30 Display

Hi Pat,

I have attempted to contact Garmin support for a replacement display but I have received a nil response. Our local Garmin support centre here in Melbourne Australia knows nothing of a replacement display kit.

Any chance you or any other listers can provide a Garmin part number for the replacement display? I am not a fan of the stick it back on yourself approach.

cheers
Ron
VH-XRM
RV-10, flying in Oz

Ron, I got mine from the dealer that I purchased my panel from, Aerotronics. I seem to recall that you have to order it through a dealer, as Garmin will not sell it direct. I don't have a part number but I would think your dealer there should be able to find it for you. Good luck.

Are you talking about the large faceplate mounted clear plastic or the little sheets bonded to the 4 character LED dot matrix displays?

GH

Hi Pat,

I have attempted to contact Garmin support for a replacement display but I have received a nil response. Our local Garmin support centre here in Melbourne Australia knows nothing of a replacement display kit.

Any chance you or any other listers can provide a Garmin part number for the replacement display? I am not a fan of the stick it back on yourself approach.

cheers
Ron
VH-XRM
RV-10, flying in Oz

Hello Ron,

Please ask your Garmin dealer to refer to section 4.13 Display Protective Lens Replacement, of the SL30 Maintenance Manual, 190-00853-00.

The part number of the replacement lens is 308-3201-42.

Shoot us an email at the address below if you want any more help chasing this down.

Pat is correct that there is a peel-off backing to this part.

For whoever performs the repair, this repair step sounds important:
- Clean the adhesive surfaces on the bezel using a clean wipe and isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
SL-30 Display

For GrayHawk - my display has a large clear plastic exterior with a thinner darker polarising/filter sheet behind. Both have delaminated/separated from the LED screen.

For Steve - thanks for this data - I have passed it on to our local Garmin service centre.

Gotta love this forum. :)

cheers
Ron

Drop a note to Stein Air or Garmin AT (+01 800525-6726) and have them forward you a copy of a document to assist in identifying the correct part for your radio. Two versions of both the SL40 and SL30 Lens are available. Cost is approx $65.
In preparation for the replacement make sure you have the tiny allan key necessary to remove the knobs from the radio.
Probably a breech of copyright but here is a link to the document.
Thanks again to Stein Air for their excellent support.

Last edited:
Back