VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-22-2018, 06:11 AM

Default MGL Avionics N16 navigation receiver

I am pleased to be able to announce the release of the MGL Avionics N16 navigation receiver.
Single VOR with morse station ID decoder
Single ILS (localizer and glide slope) with morse station ID decoder
Dual VOR
Single VOR and ILS (localizer and glide slope)

Works with MGL EFIS systems or one or multiple Razor or Vega control heads.
Using Razor or Vega heads forms a stand alone navigation solution (VOR CDI with OBS knob, radial and bearing readouts, ILS with localizer and glideslope needle display).

If used with any Razor or Vega head can emulate an SL30 or GNC255.

If used together with a V16 VHF transceiver forms a complete NAV/COM solution.

Did I mention the price ?
Well let me put it this way - if you had the slight suspicion that you were paying too much for a NAV radio - You were right !
N16 comes in a little cheaper than the V16 - and that is pretty low already.

More info, manuals including ICD (if you want to interface your gadgets directly) at www.mglavionics.co.za/N16.html

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 06-22-2018, 07:04 AM

Congratulations on the new product release, Rainier! It's been a LONG time coming, and a much-needed device in the market. This is very exciting indeed!

Without having to dive into the interface specs, how closely does the N16 mimic the SL30 communications protocol on the RS232 port?

This receiver is TINY compared to most, at approximately 6.5" long, 3.5" wide and 1.25" tall. This is what happens when a designer uses the most modern digital signal processing techniques. Very impressive indeed.

Last edited by Canadian_JOY : 06-22-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:07 AM

Match to the SL30 ?
This is not done through the N16 but rather via the Vega or Razor head. The N16 (and optionally the V16) in turn connect to the N16 via the CAN bus (you can have as many heads as you like).

You tell the head which protocol you would like it to emulate. The protocol is emulated pretty much exactly with the exception of items that are propriety to a specific device (there are some messages containing things like DSP version which are not applicable here so it just sends dummy info).

On the SL30 and family there is a "super flag" bit in the status message - on the Razor/Vega this is always set as it does not have a meaning here.

Frequency lists available on these protocols (VOR and ILS) are also supported although few systems would use these I suspect.

The SL30 protocol also has the COM functions - these would be filled with dummy values if you do not have a V16 connected as well. In turn if you have a V16 and no N16 and select a NAV/COM protocol the NAV parts would have the dummies.

You are not incorrect with your statement on the size. However, if you open one of these things you will see there is a lot of air inside. I am using the same housing as the V16 but for the NAV I only need the receiver part.
It is the same receiver as used in the V16 - at least the RF part which only contains one additional SAW filter for the glide slope.

The actual interesting stuff where all the NAV things happen is implemented completely in software - it is running at about 60 million floating point 64 bit operations per second to make this possible. In essence - this simulates a real analog NAV radio using maths only - it's just that the RF signals it gets are real...
The advantage is that you can do quite a few interesting things you would not consider with "real" hardware and of course it never drifts or ages...

It is a single receiver - in case when you tune into a VOR and a ILS (localizer +Glide slope) at the same time it looks at all three frequencies in rapid succession continuously - made possible with a RF stage that can change frequencies and stabilize an entire receiver chain extremely fast.
As you can tell - I have had some fun with this one (and probably got a few extra gray hairs in return - but I learned a lot. It really was not easy).

As you can see from the specs in the manual - it posts some impressive figures.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 06-22-2018, 08:29 AM

You are justifiably proud of the N16 - it's quite an achievement, Rainier!

If I'm reading your response correctly, from a system block diagram perspective I believe what you're saying is the following...

Assuming I have a non-MGL EFIS - in this case a GRT EFIS, which can remotely control both the nav and comm sides of an SL30 directly via RS232.

If I wanted to install an N16 or V16 or both, I would need an MGL control head (Razor or Vega) between the N16/V16 and the GRT EFIS. The Razor or Vega "speaks CAN bus" to the remote radios and in turn "speaks SL30" to the EFIS so the EFIS can both control the radios and receive VOR/ILS indications for display on the EFIS.

Is my understanding correct?

I think you need to put a big label on the N16 to warn users not to open the case or they will risk letting out all that wild South African air contained in there! :-)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Yes, that is correct. You need one of the heads in this case.
It is currently only in case of a MGL EFIS that you do not need a head. However, the protocol used for the V16 and N16 is in public domain so perhaps others may support it one day...

Hmm, me thinks the air is wilder in your part of the woods these days...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
You are justifiably proud of the N16 - it's quite an achievement, Rainier!

If I'm reading your response correctly, from a system block diagram perspective I believe what you're saying is the following...

Assuming I have a non-MGL EFIS - in this case a GRT EFIS, which can remotely control both the nav and comm sides of an SL30 directly via RS232.

If I wanted to install an N16 or V16 or both, I would need an MGL control head (Razor or Vega) between the N16/V16 and the GRT EFIS. The Razor or Vega "speaks CAN bus" to the remote radios and in turn "speaks SL30" to the EFIS so the EFIS can both control the radios and receive VOR/ILS indications for display on the EFIS.

Is my understanding correct?

I think you need to put a big label on the N16 to warn users not to open the case or they will risk letting out all that wild South African air contained in there! :-)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 AM

yes it works with the G2 (but make sure you update the firmware to the current release) and no, you do not need a head - but if you like you can fit one (or more).

Rainier

CEO MGL Avionics
Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 PM

Default Purchase

Are these available to purchase? N16 with a Vega head.
What is the cost? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirard7a View Post
Are these available to purchase? N16 with a Vega head.
What is the cost? Thanks.
It usually takes a few weeks for these things to be available in the U.S. so the answer would be: "soon".
The Vegas are of course available as they are also used for the V16 transceiver which has been available in the U.S. for about four months now.

The price in the U.S. I cannot give you as that is not under the control of MGL Avionics. You should be able to take the price of the V16 plus a Vega as guide. The N16 is a bit cheaper than the V16.

Here in South Africa (were I control the prices) the price would be approximately $650 in U.S. currency but of course that is lower than it would be in the U.S. (as an aside, it works like that the other way around as well - U.S. made avionics is more expensive when bought here compared to buying it in the U.S. - all due to cost of the supply chain).

As an aside -although it is possible operate the N16 with one Vega I would recommend two Vegas or one Razor. Unless of course you are going to (mostly) operate the N16 from an EFIS and need the Vega to give you the SL30 protocol.

BTW, the reason the N16 does not do the SL30 protocol directly is because the protocol makes no provision for things like setting up the receiver, setting receiver volume, squelch etc. This is really the only reason we need the head in this case.
The MGL EFIS systems know how to do all these things so they do not require the head.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 06-23-2018, 06:35 PM

That last paragraph, Rainier, is a critical link for most people to come to understand why a control head would be necessary. Thanks for the explanation.