VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 PM

Default To the Hangar

How are you folks taking your fresh build to the airport? My RV-8 is complete with the wings against the wall. Need to get it to the hangar to put the wings on....

How are you transporting?

ARRR.....

Doug
Sensenich 72FM8S9-1(85)
O-360 ( rebuilt myself, yikes )
99.9% built
Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 PM

Flat bed tow truck seemed to work well
Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 PM

I have not moved mine yet but I have seen pics of many many people doing it and it almost always is a flatbed tow truck. If you have access to a flatbed trailer that works too.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larco View Post
Flat bed tow truck seemed to work well
Me too. With the wings on foam padding underneath.

Following along behind in the car you can observe the "WTF was that?" looks of other motorists too!

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:52 AM

Default Go big

The local flat bed tow truck chickened out at the last minute. I hired the services of a company that rents heavy equipment. My little RV9A was loaded onto a hydraulic trailer with a 50,000 gross weight. Very professional and very secure. It cost me $200 for a 25 mile move.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 AM

Default Truck

I rented a 26' truck from Penske with an extended lift gate to bring my 7 to the painter and then the airport. The extended lift gate was long enough to allow the fuse to be rolled on to the lift while keeping the crank clear of the truck. The lift was raised and the fuse rolled in. The wings and tail were off and all the parts were strapped to the front wall cushioned with carpet underpadding. The wings were in the cradle strapped to the wall at the base beside the fuse. The fuse was strapped to the floor using cargo straps held down with 2x4's screwed to the floor at the front and rear of the tires. The straps went over the tires and were winched tight. The plane never moved in 3 trips this way. This worked for my 7. Not sure if the gear is the same width on an 8 so check your dimensions first if you want to try this method.

Al
Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 AM

The wings will fit nicely in an 8' pickup bed with proper padding.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 150+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub
2018 dues paid.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:11 AM

Doug - in our climate one must consider weather as a very important factor in the move. If moving it in the warm months, a flatbed will work just fine. If the weather is even the least bit cool, expect it WILL snow and you WILL be exposed to road salt during the move. If moving any time after October 1st, plan on fully enclosed transport. Ask me how I know...
Old 06-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Default tip bed tow truck

If I hire a regular size tip-bed tow truck service to take my RV-7A to the airport will my RV roll up the ramp incline without the tail hitting the road?

Seems like if the ramp is too steep the tail will hit before I get all three wheels on the ramp. Will it? I hope not.

My distance to airport is 0.8 miles. And mostly down hill. I suppose I could just push it by hand.
Ready for first start
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn View Post
If I hire a regular size tip-bed tow truck service to take my RV-7A to the airport will my RV roll up the ramp incline without the tail hitting the road?

Seems like if the ramp is too steep the tail will hit before I get all three wheels on the ramp. Will it? I hope not.

My distance to airport is 0.8 miles. And mostly down hill. I suppose I could just push it by hand.
Best idea yet. With a friend, it would not be much trouble at all and probably as fast as loading and unloading. LOTS less chance of damage too. You may even let the local press know about it and have some fun!
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection