- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2018, 12:54 PM

Default Need recommendation on cockpit video equipment

GoPro does not provide input for cockpit audio such as radio,intercom, Etc. What is out there that does? thanks
Old 05-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Many GoPros do have capability to input audio with an adapter. Which model do you have? The newer ones, with USB-C ports can use this one https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2...AAMIC-001.html

And some older models can also use a similar adapter.

Chris
Old 05-27-2018, 02:07 PM

Whatever camera you choose, you're gonna' need a massive hard drive for your videos. Those videos take up several Gigs each. I've filled up 3TB already.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:15 PM

Default Go pro audio

I don't have a GoPro. I was shopping them today and asked the salesperson about connecting a microphone and they told me it cannot be done. That was at Best Buy so I guess they need some additional training.

How would it hook up to the intercom or the headset?

Last edited by Vansconvert : 05-27-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:26 PM

Default VIRB works well

I used a Garmin Virb to do my G3X videos last year.

It took me a while to figure out the best way to get reliable audio. I found that using the headset patch cord that came with the Virb aviation bundle worked the best.

I also found that the audio would work best if I turned the Bluetooth OFF on both my phone and my Ipad while filming. (my phone was BT to the audio panel and the ipad was BT to the G3X.

I actually did not use all that much hard drive space. I did all my videos on my laptop that has a 500 GB hard drive. I still have plenty of space remaining today. It all depends on how much video you do.

However, I did think seriously about getting a new PC to do the video post processing - something along the line of an Alienware PC level of performance would have been nice.
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX

Last edited by Rick_A : 05-27-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:26 PM

A setup like this https://www.nflightcam.com/collectio...or-hero5-black is all you need and more. The patch cable goes between your headset audio plug and the panel receptacle. Then the usb adapter plugs that into the gopro.

Chris
Old 05-27-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansconvert View Post
I don't have a GoPro. I was shopping them today and asked the salesperson about connecting a microphone and they told me it cannot be done. That was at Best Buy so I guess they need some additional training.

How would it hook up to the intercom or the headset?
And you believed a salesperson at BB? LOL!

I don't know about later models of GoPro, but my Hero3 works just fine with the USB-mic adapter cable. Quite well, actually, since there's no engine noise at all save for what little you can hear when squelch is broken during conversation or radio transmissions.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:22 PM

Just a word of warning on GoPro cameras: I have purchased three (3) GoPros over time, and every single one of them was a brick within a year to 18 months. I have two Hero cameras (original Heros) that bricked after the initial warranty period was up. I was eventually able to fix them after GoPro got so much heat from customers that they had to acknowledge a flaw in the firmware.

Then they stopped working due to battery connector problems. I ended up having to learn microsoldering techniques to fix them because GoPro wouldn't touch them without a hefty repair and shipment fee. The soldering on the battery connector was prone to breaking loose from the main board. AFAIK, this was a common failure mode. I was in no way abusing these cameras.

After I made this repair about 4 times per camera, they finally gave up the ghost and the solder pads delaminated from the main boards.

I then bought a Hero 3+ Black Edition, which bricked itself after the initial warranty period. This was a well known failure, that GoPro refused to acknowledge (look it up) and caused many customers lots of problems.

So after about $1200 worth of cameras trashed and more in accessories wasted, I am back to zero "sport" cameras.

Word to the wise. Maybe GoPro has cleaned up their act since three years ago, but I won't buy their stuff again until Consumer Reports writes me a personal letter praising their product and customer service...
Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 PM

Default Skip the Cables

The Garmin Virb Ultra 30 had bluetooth in for cockpit audio. I have their audio panel and the above camera and just paired them last week in prep for my upcoming first flight. The camera picks up all audio panel activity and records to the video file. No cords at all. I'm sure that if the device that the camera is connected to has the ability to output bluetooth audio, the camera will record it. I haven't tried it for instance with my bluetooth equipped headset.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Virb

I'm using the Garmin Virb Ultra 30. I got the neutral density filter to make the prop go away and bought a special cable ($$) from Pilot USA to tap in headset audio and use a power bank at the same time. Works pretty well. Don't set it to record 4K - go for 1080P to give image stabilization some headroom to work with. Be sure to take the filter off for dusk or night flight.

Ed Holyoke