What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dresser retreads

Jstov

Well Known Member
Does anyone use the monster retreads on their -8 and do you know if they will still fit the pressure recovery wheel pants? Looking to get longer time on the wheels! Thanks

I just put on a set of Monster retreads on my -8 (second time). They fit fine. The carcass on mine are Michelin 6-ply.

Lots of recent post about this subject but to recap, yes they are generally liked and yes they fit the wheel pants but you will have to make the opening in the bottom a little larger.

Thanks

Thanks guys I used the search feature but I only checked the 8 pages and did not find much there.
Justin

Elite Retread

I use the Desser Elite Retread. It's a little bit smaller than the Monster and fits my wheelpants much better (still had to trim a little moving up from the kit tires). Last set lasted 350 hours, almost exclusively off pavement. Highly recommend.

Depends also on how low the wheel pants were fitted to the wheels.

I set mine according to the plans with a 1" gap between the Aero Trainer tyre tops and the wheel pant and I'm pretty sure there is insufficient clearance to fit a thicker retreads on Michelin or other larger diameter case.

Retreads

I put Goodyear Flight customs on my 8 . Trimmed the wheel pant 1/2" around the sides and about 3/4" around the front and rear . 100 landings on pavement and the tires show almost no wear . The advantage of using new vs retread is consistent tire dimensions .
A new set of Goodyears aren't a whole lot more money than recaps , and how old and what has the tire they recapped been thru .

My wheel pants are painted and perfect so I think I will just go with the new tires. I would rather fly than grind glass I have done that enough! Thanks for the replies!

Back