What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

high oil pressure O-320, EIS 2000

Bill Boyd

Well Known Member
Yesterday I flew for the first time in several weeks. After start up, I noticed that the oil pressure was fairly high at idle, and would reach 99 psi at about 1400 RPM. This was at a starting oil temperature of 90F.

As the engine warmed up, the RPM required to peg the digital OP meter at 99 psi slowly increased. At an oil temperature of 120, with oil pressure reaching 99 psi at about 1900 RPM, I decided to attempt a cautious local flight. That might not have been the best call to make, since that oil pump can generate tremendous pressure, placing the filter in jeopardy if not the hoses.

When the oil temperature reached 165, the pressure began rapidly decreasing from 99 psi indicated to about 68 (uh-oh... is this a leak, or a pressure regulator becoming unstuck, or an electrical fault in the EIS-2000 going away? Good thing I'm orbiting the field) and then leveled off. Oil pressure variations with RPM from that point onward were exactly what I am accustomed to seeing, and the remainder of the flight was uneventful. No leaks evident on returning to the hangar.

Wondering if this is typical of a bypass-type Lyc oil pressure regulator that had some gunk in it, possibly from infrequent operation the last few months. If the pressure is not normal at idle next time I start up, I won't fly and will pull the regulator housing for inspection. Next oil change it will certainly get a look (20 hours from now, most likely.) Last oil change, the filter element was free of any contamination.

Thoughts from the engine guys??

-Stormy

Most likely an indication error. I bet it no longer reads zero with engine not running. The VDO sensors are bad about failing to the high side. Check sensor ground as well. When in doubt, check with a direct reading gauge.

VDO transducer fault

If so, it's an intermittent :mad: Good thought, though.

Next time, if there is one, I will shut down while the readings are abnormally high and note the pressure value with engine off.

-Bill

I have had to replace my VDO Oil Pressure sender at 226 hours. (EIS4000) High probability that this is your problem.

Back