What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra Hole in the wing skin. Is it a water drain hole??

eh_v8_tor

Hey everyone,

I'm building an RV-7, I've noticed a hole in the inboard bottom wing skin (w-704) that I'm not sure what to do with. It's located on the same line of rivets as the most inboard rib. There is a hole in the skin halfway between where the rear spar and the flap brace attach to the skin. There seems to be no underlying structure there. It looks like it's ignored by the plans.

My question is: Should this hole be left alone? Is it intended to be a water drain hole? (it's pretty small and would probably plug up)

...OR, should I dimple it and put a rivet in there just to make it look pretty?

Thanks guys,

Steve Wolfe

It will be used to attach the lower fuselage skin. Leave it empty for now.
Hey everyone,

I'm building an RV-7, I've noticed a hole in the inboard bottom wing skin (w-704) that I'm not sure what to do with. It's located on the same line of rivets as the most inboard rib. There is a hole in the skin halfway between where the rear spar and the flap brace attach to the skin. There seems to be no underlying structure there. It looks like it's ignored by the plans.

My question is: Should this hole be left alone? Is it intended to be a water drain hole? (it's pretty small and would probably plug up)

...OR, should I dimple it and put a rivet in there just to make it look pretty?

Thanks guys,

Steve Wolfe

Thanks, that makes sense now!

I'm assuming at it should be dimpled. Is that correct? If so, then I will do it now in the C-frame tool.

Steve

The holes in the wing skins that attach to the fuselage skins get screws down the line, not rivets. Don't do anything to it yet. The time to dimple it will come later.

Thanks for the replies.

The holes in the wing skins that attach to the fuselage skins get screws down the line, not rivets. Don't do anything to it yet. The time to dimple it will come later.

Ah yes, I would probably want to match drill it to whatever is fuselage structure is underneath.

Thanks for the replies. It helped keep me on track!

Back