What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 paint jobs we are finishing up

PainterJohn

Well Known Member
sampleN599DT.jpg

sampleN8YV.jpg

Just wanted to share the RV7 and RV8 that we are finishing up at the moment. Next up is an RV6 restoration.

Hey John, for those of us who are still just dreaming right now can you give us an estimate of the difference in cost between those two paint jobs. I understand that the owners may not want exact prices plastered on the Internet but just something to go by would be great.

Thanks

-david

Well the 8 is a single stage, 3 color paint job, for which I did the rendering.. It needed some fiberglass work to the windshield, wheel pants, cowlings, and wing tips.. as well as a lot of oil contamination clean up before we could begin the paint process.. But its paint work was about 5700.. glasswork and clean up was around 1300 bucks.. then uncle sam had to get his cut that was around 500 bucks so the total was 7500 and change.

The 7's body work was finished, and very nicely done so most of that was not part of my invoice (Rick Grey took care of that stuff before it got here).. Its paint work with the renderings that id did for it as well, was just over 14,500. As you can see there are ALOT of colors and masking involved with the 7. Total there are about 16 colors on it.. 7 major colors and 9 accent colors (pinstriping and other little things)

The differnce is about 7000 i guess (and about 900 miles of 3M tape)

Neither of these are 2 week turn arounds tho.. Admittedly they took a bit longer than expected, mostly due to taking over the FBO at Giddings (yeah thats been a pain!! but i love it out here) And finding help that actually wants to work..

purple

Can you give me the particulars on the purple that is on the fuselage of the 7? PM if you prefer.

Thanks.

the particulars on the purple for the 7 are: TOP SECRET!!

Just kidding ;-)

Its a PPG base coat/clear coat pearl with metallic. Its code is from the 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago. It wasnt cheap.. just FYI

It also has Fords Screaming Yellow from the SVT cars, GT, Salene Mustang, etc.. Orange is another Lamboghini color, Green is Lamborghini also, Blue is another Lamborghini from an older Diablo i believe, and the orange is also Lamborghini from the newer Mercielago.. The pink is Geo Metro circa 1991... LOL!

Last edited:
...he won't be flying to any forest service strips in Idaho!

LarryT

Well he COULD use forest strips.. but i dont think he'd want to ding up the thing.. I have a customer that flys 7 with a base/clear paint job off a grass strip all the time.. its been 5 years and is having no problems.. I dont see any reason this one wouldnt be just as tuff.. perhaps tuffer! After all Lamborghini was/is also a heavy equipment manufacturer.

sampleN599DT.jpg

The 7's body work was finished, and very nicely done so most of that was not part of my invoice (Rick Gray took care of that stuff before it got here).

Thanks John :D!!

This plane belongs to Darren and Traci Kerns from Indiana. When it comes to artwork, Traci has an imagination that won't quit. I think it's pretty sweet!!

It was built at my shop in Ohio in 7 months from start to finish. It was great working with Darren and Traci. Best part of the entire project was the great new friends I made :)!!

I'm sure Darren won't mind me sharing a couple of under construction photos...note the dates on the pics.

Darren wanted his panel 'complex'....but 'simple'. I really like it.

This is what the plane looked like before it went to Painter John's.

This last pic is Darren taking his new RV7 home after flying off the 40hrs.....the grin says it all!

A public 'thank you' to Darren and Traci for letting me be a part of their project......I think it may be a contender :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks Rick and John

Thanks Rick for posting my RV Grin! You are truly a great friend. Also, thanks needs to go to John at AirBorneKustomz. The paint job is unique and Traci and I knew we wanted him to do it.

More pictures as soon as we get it home!

Thanks for all the nice comments!
Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT Coming Home Soon!

What I like best, painter John is fairly close to me! I was going to have my local auto body painter down here do mine, but would much rather have an aircraft pro do it. You do RV 12s don't you?

I guess it's just me, but that RV-7 paint scheme is way too garish. Great paint JOB, though.

hey, will the 7 .........

be ready for some warm wx down at SNF? come on down. here is some more of that bright color stuff. i think it is from the Lamborghini family of colors.
img0603pt.jpg

Back