What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building the RV-10

jmp470

My question is do you have to have a center stick on the RV-10? I own a Cirrus SR 20. But I'm thinking about building an airplane because there are somethings that I would like to do my way. I have two issues with the SR 20. 1st: No Air Conditioning 2nd: I would like a diesel engine, the delta hawk. So my question is, do I have to have a center stick or can I make it a side stick or yoke?

Welcome John

Welcome to Experimental Aviation.
The answer to your questions is yes, yes and yes.
You can even make a Canard out of the RV-10 if you like.:)
Seriously, you really can do all of those things but you will be on your own without much support. Are you up to designing and building all of those
"improvements"?
Delta Hawk? We have been waiting for years.
Lots of people will have lots to say about your ideas.
Some will shoot it down, some will encourage you and all will be interested in your progress.

N427EF thanks for the response. The only RV-10 I flew in was Todd's RV-10 that blew up. I'm not dead set on the diesel engine, but I am on the side stick/yoke. I don't like the stick between the legs. I flew it in the Diamond and in the RV. Right now I'm still in the looking phase, as the it will be a fews years before I am in a steady place to build.

It's an experimental, so you can make what ever changes you want.

Replacing the stick with a yoke is a pretty complex mod. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would probably select another aircraft if this is a show stopper for you.

You'll get zero support from Van's. You may want to search the archives here and on Matronics. I know this topic has been discussed several years ago.

bob

I tend to agree with Bob on this one because my thought was to find a different aircraft. To move from a center stick to a side stick (if it's possible) would be extremely complex.

The Lancair IV has a side stick and I'd take a harder look at it than the RV-10. You'll find support, engineering research on the design, and everything you need.

I'd suggest finding a local RV-10 builder who is just finishing up the fuselage section of the kit. This would allow you to see just how complex it would be to make any modifications.

I'd hate to see you spend ~$50K just to get to the control systems installation and then realize its not possible to do.

Phil

I wouldn't worry too much about the location of the control stick. In my experience, most pilots quickly feel at home with any type of control. I'd recommend trying to log another 5 hours with a center stick and see if it is still a problem for you.

My question is do you have to have a center stick on the RV-10? I own a Cirrus SR 20. But I'm thinking about building an airplane because there are somethings that I would like to do my way. I have two issues with the SR 20. 1st: No Air Conditioning 2nd: I would like a diesel engine, the delta hawk. So my question is, do I have to have a center stick or can I make it a side stick or yoke?

The real question you have to ask yourself is: Do I want to BUILD an airplane, or FLY an airplane?

Significant mods = increased build time. Too, if you expect to sell it some day "unusual" engines reduce sale price (although DeltaHawk may be certified and mainstream by then).

If you are specifically looking for a 4-seat kit airplane with a yoke, the only one I know of that compares meaningfully with the -10 is the Ravin (patterned after the old Comanche 260). The retractable kit is a bit more than the -10; the fixed gear is similar but not as fast as the -10 (well, maybe at altitude with a turbocharged diesel). It is considerably heavier than a -10 empty, so won't climb as well on the same engine (apples to apples) but has an enormous useful load and enough fuel to fly 1800 miles un-refueled. It is also glass instead of metal - some folks do and some don't...

They are currently testing the Ravin with Adept Airmotive's engine-under-development which, if it actually works, would be a pretty sweet engine in any airplane capable of this amount of horsepower.

But, all things being equal and assuming that like most of us your budget is not unlimited, the -10 has probably the best value and utility combination ever devised. Grass strips; STOL; good load/range/speed/rate of climb; simple to build and maintain. Given all of the above, you might consider simply "getting used to" the stick. For us ex-fighter jocks, your dislike of that sounds like someone who doesn't like chocolate - dat's just plumb un-American! :D

How about yokes like in a Zenith.. the Y shaped control in the center of the cabin that would be pretty easy to adapt.

Ravin vs RV10 option.. I built a Ravin 500. Its a very quick build kit. Currently im helping another Ravin 500 builder modify the yokes to stick controls. Its a bit challenging, but certainly do-able!! There are lots of aircraft to look at for ideas for any type of control modification. Just have to be creative!

Ravin makes a 300 kit as well. Basically it is the 500 but with fixed gear and smaller engine configuration. Not sure of the cost differences but it is significant, and the build time goes down also.

The RV10 does have more leg room and head room, and many more of them flying.. both great aircraft.. Personal choice i suppose.

Thanks for the responses. As for the whole center stick, I've flown them before, I just don't like them! As for it being un-American, my bad, but us ground pounders think you fly boys are spoiled :D Well shoot, I really like the 10.

... For us ex-fighter jocks, your dislike of that sounds like someone who doesn't like chocolate - dat's just plumb un-American! :D

Speak for yourself. New 21st Century fighters (F-16, F-22, F-35, etc) all have side sticks! :D

I pondered this also and is certainly doable but you would have to have access to some good machining tools and a lot of time. In the end, it would be nice but probably not worth the effort -kind of like that lone retractable RV.

I want a sidestick too

I can not stop thinking about starting a RV-10 in the near future, but one thing I want to modify is to have a sidestick and a table like airbus:eek:

............and thats where you would want the similarities to stop :D:D

What is the difference between an experienced Airbus pilot and a new one?

Newbie pilot: What the f### is it doing that for?

Exp pilot: WTF ....It is doing it AGAIN! :eek:

hehehehhe

Just as Qantas of late........

Hey Fernando...

I can not stop thinking about starting a RV-10 in the near future, but one thing I want to modify is to have a sidestick and a table like airbus:eek:

...with a good autopilot, you seldom touch the stick:) Ask me how I know.

I'd like to remove the right side stick and just looking at it, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Have any of you -10 drivers removed the right side stick?

Best,

Pierre,

It's just one bolt on the bottom of the stick. Then it slides out.

Hopefully they put disconnect wires in for any push-buttons when they built it. Otherwise you may get to do that. :)

Back