Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-02-2018, 12:05 PM

Default Ottawa area PIREP?

Hi gang,

The weather looks like it may work for our planned holiday trip to the Ottawa area this week; I have all paperwork, customs sticker, passports etc in order, and I've mostly come to terms with the Canadian charts, airspace/radio, and procedures.

Now seeking any advice on which airport is best for transient visitors -- Gatineau or Rockcliffe? Both look like ground transportation should be straightforward, but I'm interested in comments on ease of arrival/departure, overnight tie-down costs, fuel, etc. Customs shouldn't be an issue as I plan to clear at CYZE on the way in. No firm ground plans yet, will likely hire a ride downtown and stay there for the duration.

If all goes well we will be outbound Tuesday morning on the north side, and make our way home Friday/Saturday along the south side of the great lakes.

Thanks in advance for any experience & insight.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:00 PM

Rockcliff is quite a bit closer to Downtown Ottawa. I would suggest a route from customs to Sudbury North Bay Pembrooke, Ottawa. It is a bit farther but there are roads. A direct flight takes you over some desolate area.
Over Sudbury radio you could try for flight following into Ottawa, Call "Toronto Centre 135.5" and ask for flight following. If granted this will just make your flight easier, they will pass you on to the next frequency, etc right to Gatineau. This will help to keep you away from a few restricted areas.
There is a nice aircraft museum right at Rockcliff, check for hours of operation.
Ottawa is a beautiful city, with much to see and do.
If there are any local Ottawa pilots they might pipe in with some more local knowledge.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 07-02-2018, 01:20 PM

During our tour of Canada we landed and parked at Rockcliffe for a few days. It was an easy taxi ride to town. We used flight following as Tom suggested and they were great to work with.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:24 PM

Smile Ottawa visit

Yes the museum at Rockliffe is world class, and well as other museums in the city.
On your way to or from, stop in to Smiths Falls CYSH for gas and a snack. Best fuel prices around, honour fridge upstairs. No traffic, lots of room.
There's usually someone around.
Dale
Old 07-02-2018, 08:30 PM

Thanks, all. I think we値l plan for Rockcliffe if the morning weather checks ok. My planned route is pretty much right on what Tom suggested, staying near roads between towns; the airports are a bit sparse through there compared to what I知 used to seeing. I値l definitely pick up FF with Center on the way in to ease the transition.

I did get a few suggestions to go to CYOW Ottawa Intl on another board, but being my first foray into Canadian airspace I知 feeling as though I壇 rather keep things low key in case of a misunderstanding in my 電ifferences research...
Old 07-02-2018, 08:47 PM

I'm from Ottawa and got my PPL at Rockcliffe. It's a great little airport, much easier to get around to the city than Gatineau. The drive along the river is gorgeous this time of year, granted they had the hottest day in history today Can't wait to fly back with my RV6 at some point, and yes the museum is fantastic!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:09 PM

For a GA-friendly airport, come west a bit to Carp, CYRP. Several RV's on the field, some of their owners are present here on the forum. We're further from town but a lot lower-stress to get there, both by air and road. FBO can make taxi arrangements for you as needed. Fuel is current $1.87/litre self serve. Tiedowns are available. If you want to come down to the east end of the field, EAA Chapter 245 has tiedowns available for modest fees, and heck, it's an EAA chapter so you know you're in good company. We have an 8A and a 9A in the row hangar adjacent to the chapter hangar, as well as a few other homebuilts hanging around. Sunday mornings are always a good time to stop in and shoot the breeze. Do a quick google search on EAA chapter 245 to find out a bit more about us.