- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Web Site Development
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2018, 04:01 PM

Default A Few Website Questions Please

Photo hosting with commercial providers has some serious issues. The major problem is longevity, and its effect on forum linking. We link photos, something changes at the host service, and all the links go dead. A new host requires inserting a new photo link into each past forum post, a huge time sink.

A number of you have volunteered photo host space in some form or fashion, and I appreciate it very much. However, I'd prefer to make my own way, so to speak. A bit of advice might speed the process, as I know little about web hosting.

The key question is how to post links to photos, and never again change the link. So, check me please.

Assume I purchase a domain name, for example, "danhorton.net". If I understand correctly, I can host that domain on any server willing to rent the drive space. If I wish to change to a different host, I can upload a copy of my website to that new server, and ask that my domain name be linked to the new server address. The key point is that the posted photo URL would not change. For example, a forum link of "http://danhorton.net/photo#1234" would always retrieve photo#1234, no matter what server I use for hosting, now or later.

Have I got it right?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:03 PM

Dan -

http://halie.com

You are welcome to a copy of the code, I wrote it. You can set it up on Amazon's EC2 "free tier" for a personal site like you're describing.

Call me if you want the skinny.

- Bill
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the code offer Bill.

Regarding domain and hosting, is my understanding correct? I can change hosts, and the forum links will still work?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Thanks for the code offer Bill.

Regarding domain and hosting, is my understanding correct? I can change hosts, and the forum links will still work?
Yes Dan you have it exactly correct. Hollor if you need help further. Least I could do for someone who has provided so much to our viewers.
Gold Hill, NC25
Old 05-22-2018, 06:48 AM

Dan,
You are sort of on the right track. The issue is that at any time the hosting company that you use can stop allowing you to link photos to 3rd party links. Then what happens? You have to find another provider, move your site, and the same may happen in the future. I think Bill has a great idea in using amazon. Not saying that amazon will never change their policy on 3rd party links but at least AWS (Amazon Web Services) is a paid cloud offering that is used by many large enterprises. Many of my customers are moving their entire operations to AWS (cloud datacenter) rather than having brick and mortar datacenter. Why is that relevant to your question? Glad you asked Amazon will likely allow you to do whatever you want as long as you pay for the service. Your other options are Microsoft Azure and Google who both have cloud offerings. You may want try using Bill's code to have your own service on AWS or one of the cloud providers.
Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 05-22-2018, 06:49 AM

Default YEP

<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Assume I purchase a domain name, for example, "danhorton.net". If I understand correctly, I can host that domain on any server willing to rent the drive space. If I wish to change to a different host, I can upload a copy of my website to that new server, and ask that my domain name be linked to the new server address. The key point is that the posted photo URL would not change. For example, a forum link of "http://danhorton.net/photo#1234" would always retrieve photo#1234, no matter what server I use for hosting, now or later.

Have I got it right?
</snip>

I have done exactly that for years. All of my earlier post photos are hosted off of www.langhout.net. Some of my more recent ones are hosted off of google photos - but I've about decided to go back to my own domain.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
350 hours and counting . . . .
Now based at Moontown (3M5)
Old 05-22-2018, 07:15 AM
been here awhile

Same here. I have used the same local hosting firm since my earliest web sites over twenty years ago. Every photo I have posted in that time span is still available at the same address (unless I have taken down the parent website). I pay $40/yr for the host service.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Yep!

http://danhorton.net/photos/1234.jpg

You control danhorton.net regardless of where you point it.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 AM

Dan, yes you got it right. Just get any webhost. I use 1and1.com for a lot of my stuff. Amazon AWS is nice but it's a little hard to figure out for a newbie.
Since you own the domain, you can move it to any host, and put on it whatever you want, and link it from wherever you want. Paid hosts don't care about third parties linking to anything.
Keep it simple. Just upload the images via FTP, and always keep a local copy of them on your computer or backup drive, with the proper names. That way there's no software or databases or anything else to maintain. Host goes down, get a new one, upload the images, point your domain to it and all your image links are back up.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCP Boys View Post
Dan,
You are sort of on the right track. The issue is that at any time the hosting company that you use can stop allowing you to link photos to 3rd party links.
Not possible with simple hosting such as Dan was suggesting. If it's just a file on the server, then the only way to block it is to remove access to the folder, at which point your entire site would break. Now, if they're database stored, like some of the images on my wiki, it would be possible to lock them by making them accessible only through your portal software. This is the problem with hosting pictures on most 'image hosting' sites, like photobucket. I'm not really worried about my wiki, however, because I've never heard of an ISP locking a client's content like that and, if they did, I'd simply rehost from my backup with another ISP.

With images and video, there's another issue: bandwidth. If that got out of hand (yeah, like my site is suddenly going to go viral...) then my ISP might block the whole site but they'd be more likely to notify me of the overage and offer to sell me more bandwidth before blocking my content outright. That's not the same thing as not allowing external links.

Wups! Almost forget that http requests from specific domains and sites can be blocked, but this feature is used cautiously to block know spam and torrent sites. Imagine the outcry if an ISP blocked gmail, for instance. I suspect that vansairforce.com and vansairforce.net would not be blocked that way.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357

Last edited by flion : 05-22-2018 at 08:05 AM. Reason: More info