What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Lock is broken..can you help?

Hi Everyone

The key was put in the barrel on the left hand main door and the barrel then broke away with the key in it. It was my passenger, not me, so am not sure how much force was applied.

Just trying to source the aftermarket part - any help would be appreciated. We have spoken to VANS and they suggested a post here.

Thankfully the handle still works, it is just the locking mechanism!

open

view

Last edited:
I can't help you with replacing with that exact lock, however I would suggest getting CompX Fort - MFW1058 Cam Locks. I have 3 of them on my project and it seems it would be impossible to break the key.

Locksmith

I would bet that a local locksmith could replace that lock mechanism for you, it looks very much like a lot of tool box locks. You might be able to find it on ebay also.

I am co owner with Adrian, can anyone identify from the pictures who manufactured the aftermarket door handle, we could then try approaching them, thanks also for the suggestion re the locksmith, that may also work.

Who makes the lock and handle assembly? I can't tell from the pictures. I found some lower profile cylinders at an RV/Camping dealer. The thing to look for is the depth of the cylinder.

Looks kind of like...

Can't tell from the photos but it kind of looks like an assembly from aircraftspecialty.com...

I have sent an email to Aircraft Speciality, does this photo help with the identification?

IMG_20170521_181624691.jpg

Last edited:
Our RV-10 Door lock is pictured here. It utilizes an offset lock which is captured by a receptacle in the existing RV-10 rack mounting hole.

Silver%20RV-10%20Lock%20Small.jpg

The door lock pictured by Adrian in this thread almost looks like the AV8R designs door lock to me. But I am not certain on that. I think that they did a lock underneath the handle rather than integral to it. But, it is possible that this is a modification of one of their designs?

It looks like a cabinet lock that can be found in your aviation isle at your local hardware store.

Manufacturer looking for OP to contact him....

I got this email today from Henkjan 'at' zme 'dot' nl

"I see on VAF that a doorlock is broken, I made a few sets of those locks years ago.

I still have some spare locks on the shelf, no charge, just for shipping costs……

You might remember me, I bought the RV6 of Alex de Dominicis (also years ago)

Can you get me in touch with Adrian Bonwitt, I’ll ship him the locks."

There you go <g>. Problem solved. Great community!

Last edited:
Back