What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low Fuel Pressure - Climb on a hot day

Airzen

Well Known Member
I experienced a low fuel pressure warning while climbing out of Palo Alto yesterday (afternoon around 2:30 pm, ambient temps around high 90s). My engine is IO-360, silverhawk fuel injection, one engine driven fuel pump and an electric boost pump.

Basically, the warning happened as I climbed to 5K feet and Engine got pretty warm (CHT 380s to 400, oil temp 202). The fuel pressure that stays around 26 psi got down to 16-17 psi.

Interestingly leaning out solved the problem and I got the fuel pressure back. But I had an interesting conundrum: I wanted to keep it rich to avoid the high CHTs, but doing so made the fuel pressure go lower than the normal.

I ended up using the boost pump and reducing my power, that quickly made things normal and once I was set in cruise the issue never happened again.

This was my first time experiencing the low fuel pressure (and first time as well flying when things were this hot).

Wondering if any of you have experienced this before and if there are things I should take a good look at. (I am anyway planning to take a good look at the whole fuel system for leaks etc.)

I see this sometimes in my -10. IO-540 on hot days, fuel pressure likes to drop down. I just got in the habit of running the electric fuel pump until I level off in cruise. Problem solved.

Perfectly normal.

Turn on the boost pump for departure, in particular when hot.

Back