What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inventory

KCBerner

Well Known Member
I'm finishing my inventory and the only discrepancy I have is that I can't find part VB-11. The description is not very helpful, it says "Template on Box Top". :confused: Supposed to be 2 of them.

What in the world is that? I suspect it's in here somewhere.

Shipping crate

That would have been fun...but no. I just went and looked and no dice. Was that the case on the 10?

I've noticed that the only specifically 14 parts to the wing kit seems to be the Spars and the skins. Nearly everything is 10 parts. I guess that's to be expected.

Yes, on the ten there were some templates for stands for the control surfaces and the wing leading edge.

Templates

Mine had templates drawn on the box containing the skins. Shaped like the leading edge of the wing used to make the wing storage cradle.

Posted this yesterday on another thread. Thought it would be appropriate in this thread....

Just finished inventorying my kit. I found two of the spar reinforcements were labeled L and R and they were exactly the same. Within 10 minutes from the time I noted that, the UPS driver showed up at my shop with an 8' long tube from Van's containing the "correct" L spar reinforcement. How's THAT for service!!! I guess they already figured out the spars were labeled wrong and sent off the new one to all of the kits that had already shipped. The rest of the kit was correct with the exception of one snap bushing missing. Oh well. No big deal. I'm sure I'll be ordering more in the near future anyway.

Let the fun begin! :D

templates

Ok, I just went and double checked. There are no templates drawn on the top or bottom of the crate top or bottom.

Thanks for the help, at least I know what it's supposed to be. I'll email Van's on Monday and see if they can just email me a drawing or something.

Wing Cradle

Ok, I just went and double checked. There are no templates drawn on the top or bottom of the crate top or bottom.

Thanks for the help, at least I know what it's supposed to be. I'll email Van's on Monday and see if they can just email me a drawing or something.

Its really not a big deal. All you will need to do is trace a leading edge rib onto a piece of plywood about 24" to 32" square, large enough to fit both wings with the top of the wings facing each other. I'm sure someone has a photo of a cradle they can post. I'll look through my -7 build photos to see if I have one..... Here's a link to one on my -7 website. It doesn't show the leading edge cut out but I'm sure you will get the idea.......

http://www.drrv7.com/files/DRRV7200707290002.JPG

Build log

Here's a link to one on my -7 website. It doesn't show the leading edge cut out but I'm sure you will get the idea.......

By the way Dennis, I've been reading through you -7 build log. I hope you're going to do one like that for the -14 so I can follow along!

Just about done inventory, the only thing missing so far is Bag 1166. These are long rivets, I'm still looking to see if there is a back ordered mentioned somewhere for these rivets.

Dennis, would the part you are refering to be the actual rear spar , PN-W-00007A-L and R? I found both of my rear spars appear identical during inventory.
Ron

Dennis, would the part you are refering to be the actual rear spar , PN-W-00007A-L and R? I found both of my rear spars appear identical during inventory.
Ron

That was the case with mine also but the correct R side was laid on top of the box with a note to disregard the one in the subkit.

We had the same problem!

Here is the note we had on that part W-00007A-R.:confused:

2012-12-16160208_zpsa1b88978.jpg

What the boxes look like!

Here are a few photos of the Wing kit boxes when they arrived. They were the size and weight listed on the the Vans link in the previous post. Cost shipped to Fort Worth Texas $287.00.

2012-12-14220403_zps302b88d9.jpg

2012-12-14220947_zps5aad78f6.jpg

2012-12-14221231_zps901639db.jpg

Last edited:
Ron

That is correct. I didn't even need to re-order it. As I said, they must have caught it on several kits and just sent one out before I even noticed it.

Plexiglas.

Received my two back ordered items today. Wingtip lenses and landing light lenses. So inventory is now complete, everything is in house. Workshop/garage is almost ready to go... Lighting, benches, overhead storage. Gonna do a practice kit and should be ready to start on the spar next week.

The wing tip lense stock is much larger and made of softer material than what came with the RV-10 wings. I see that they have a RV-12 part number on them, probably brought over from the RV-12 kit. At least that is from memory.

Cwilkins,

Definitely check out the 14, but know that a 7 will probably work for you if you can't swing a14 financially. I'm 6.0, 255 and fit comfortably. Enjoy the sandbox, keep your head down, thanks for going so my wife doesn't have to ( :) ), etc!

@DRBuilder... I noticed you're from the Winston Salem area. I am stationed at Camp Lejeune, but currently in Afghanistan. Looking to return to the states sometime around May and would love to come out and check out your progress on the -14... Maybe even help you buck some rivets if you'll let me. Looks like about a 1.5 hr flight in my little Warrior. I was originally looking at the -7, but at 255lbs, the -14 looks like a better option.

Wake Forest is just NE of Raleigh. You're thinking of the College, which is located near Winston Salem. In either case, you're welcome to stop by. I kept my RV7 at LHZ, which is only a 20 minute drive from my house. Give me plenty of heads up and I'll be glad to pick you up at LHZ.

Back