What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitch trim meter

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
After flying the -4 some I'm thinking I need to add a pitch trim meter to the Ray Allen system.

Do most of you set the trim for takeoff and landing by feel or by the meter?

Sid, my elevator trim reads out on the ACS3400. I set it neutral for takeoff which is spot on. It doesnt require much change 'til I land, then it requires most of the nose-up travel because I land slowish. That I do by trimming until it holds the speed I want.

Hope that helps, Steve.

After flying the -4 some I'm thinking I need to add a pitch trim meter to the Ray Allen system.

Do most of you set the trim for takeoff and landing by feel or by the meter?
My Ray Allen pitch trim (and flap position) display are intermittent/useless. During pre-flight I check that the elevator trim is set at neutral, and after that, I set it by feel. Weirdly, my pitch trim indicator always works after landing, allowing me to set trim to neutral before shutdown.
Ray Allen displays are cr*p, and the only devices on my plane that have failed since first flight. Avoid them if possible.

During pre-flight I check that the elevator trim is set at neutral, and after that, I set it by feel.....

What he said. You'll get so used to how it should look when you walk around and also where it should be with a GIB. Our 6A has to have a little nose down trim with two up..about the thickness of the trim tab,

Regards,

Trim Indicators

Ray Allen displays are cr*p, and the only devices on my plane that have failed since first flight. Avoid them if possible.

My Ray Allen displays have been rock solid since installation. Over 200 hrs now. I would use them again.

YMMV

Back