What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying north Florida

rvdave

Well Known Member
Will be visiting northwest Florida shortly, ft Walton beach and wondering about flying in to a close airport, Destin DTS vs Crestview CEW vs Elgin/Destin/Ft Walton KVPS . Is Eglin ga friendly? Was based at Eglin years ago before I started flying.

NW Florida

One of my favorite areas to fly. Crestview is GA friendly and probably easier on the fees/prices but I haven't been in there in a couple of years. I don't think Eglin has a GA FBO.

I really like and normally use KDTS. They put in a control tower a couple of years ago so the traffic flow is much better now. Tiedowns last year were about $15 per night plus a $15 service fee if you don't buy fuel.

Both FBOs at KDTS are owned by the same company but for some reason we seem to get better treatment at the North FBO.

See the FAA online training course below and study the maps well. You really have to follow the procedures down there but the flying is well worth it.

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=47&sID=278&preview=true

Andy

Watch out for the Part 93 SATR airspace. A lot of military traffic around there. Like Andy say's, "you really have to follow the procedures down there."

Back