What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Audio Panels

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Anyone have first-hand experience with the Garmin GMA 240/340/350? Any compare and contrast between the three for how they sound and which features are useful and which are hype?

340 adds the marker beacons... 350 seems to add a bunch of stereo/entertainment features. If you passengers are going to "tune out" they can use their portable mp3 players and save you some money.

I've flown with the 340 in multiple planes and have one on the bench in my hangar just waiting to get racked up. (So maybe I'm biased)

I have a 240 and it works well. Search the threads though, there is a problem with popping an internal fuse if you accidentally plug in a mono headset. I think there are other very compatible units from ps engineering that don't share this problem. I ended up rolling the dice and replaced the internal fuse with a 2 amp fuse versus the 1 amp that is in there and have been trouble free. Probably voided my warrantee though.

Hello all,

The internet is great for distributing ideas and knowledge, but one of the problems is that it's difficult to get rid of bad information once it gets out there. We just addressed this question about the GMA 240 in another thread from a few days ago:

One of the earlier posters in this thread who commented on the GMA 240 is sharing out of date information. While it is true that early models of the GMA 240 would, in very rare cases, blow an internal fuse, this circuit protection was revised in early 2013 and there have been NO reports of issues since then. In the unlikely event that anyone with any GMA 240 has any issues with this circuit protection, please contact us and we will take care of the repair.

That same post also contains a lot of great information about the operation of the GMA 240, which of all the audio panels available today is certainly my favorite!

- Matt

If I recall correctly, the 340 (which I have) is monaural, while the 240 is stereo. I can't speak to the 350.

I'm loving my PMA450. It's really a heck of an audio panel. The Intelliaudio actually does make things easier to catch on busy radio days, and the music control features are fantastic. It's worth checking out for anyone looking for an audio panel. I think there is a model that is just a tiny bit less feature filled too, the PDA360. At any rate, I'm very happy. I put one in my RV10, and my RV14.

I think it's no secret that, year after year, PS panels have been the best performers. But many buyers seem more concerned with looks than performance, and Garmin panels match the looks of other Garmin equipment. Note the OP only asked about Garmin. This thinking baffles me, but that's just me.

Brand name

I think it's no secret that, year after year, PS panels have been the best performers. But many buyers seem more concerned with looks than performance, and Garmin panels match the looks of other Garmin equipment. Note the OP only asked about Garmin. This thinking baffles me, but that's just me.

Tom, your post has helped me a lot! I overlooked the fact that he was just asking about GARMIN so I should have probably not responded. I am just so darn committed to making the best audio panel that I sometimes get too focused.

But on the other hand, it's our focus that has gotten where we are today.

Sure do appreciate your post Bob!

Last edited:
Its really a search for information since I can't see all the options from my desk. I'm going to have to make a purchasing decision without really being able to try various things out beforehand. So please don't be baffled - a Garmin/PS question was probably coming later.....

Back