What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training with Mike Seager

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Just got back from 3 days of transition training with Mike Seager. I'm in Alabama, he's in Oregon, wasn't sure it would work but SouthWest had $330 flights so I booked it.

I highly recommend his transition training. We spent 6 hours flying and as you can imagine it was mostly pattern work.

At the very end he turned off the EFIS and had me rep the pattern without any avionics which was a lot of fun and some of my best approaches and landings.

We did a simulated engine outs, etc.

His field is a grass strip and my first takeoffs and landings off a paved runway. Most of our work was done at a nearby paved airport.

Mike is a wonderful person and a patient instructor, wish I had an excuse to go back for more. Loved the work and the visit!

Highly recommended, 5/5 stars.

Last edited:
I had no tail wheel experience and had not flown anything in the 10 years that it took me to build my RV3.
My biggest hurdle was getting some insurance to cover me in an aircraft that there was no way to get experience in! (Single Seat)
Found one insurance co. that would let me fly it after 20 hours in a tail wheeled aircraft. But I had to get my bi-annual flight review first, I did that in an Archer. I failed the first bi-annual because I could not land the darn thing with any grace, even after 10 landings.
The second time I passed after another 10 landings. Then I rented the archer and practiced landings by myself until I could land very well, it took 50 more landings over several days to be as good as I wanted to be.
Then I took tail wheel training for 20 hours in a super cub.
Then I flew my RV3 for the first time and had no problems handling the aircraft even though the engine dropped dead at 5,000 feet and I had to glide in. I had a good idea of the glide speeds from other similar RV aircraft posted here on this site.
I think just having recent experience in an aircraft does wonders for your ability to handle any aircraft.
My biggest surprise was the short wings dig in like a plow at low speeds stalling the wings quickly. I was about one foot above the runway letting the speed die off and it just dropped on the runway. I thought, well at least I'm on the ground at the airport with my dead engine...

I have read all the FAA stuff on the Flight Review, and was left with the opinion that it is not possible to pass or fail a review. Your review may contain some lousy comments, but you cannot fail one.

Mike Seager

Thanks for posting your experiences with Mike Seager, Bill.
Planning a similar trip soon. Just wondering where you stayed. Looks like Mike is
in the boonies a little. Were hotels and resturants any problem. And how many days did your training take. I understand weather can be a real problem out there in the Northwest.

St. Helens

I did my training back in 2012. I made non-standard lodging arrangements. Instead of staying in Vernonia, which is a very small and secluded town, I stayed in St. Helens which is about a 45 minute drive away over on the Columbia River. It is a bigger town with more lodging and dining options (there's a really good restaurant right downtown by the river Called the Klondike). It's not far from Scappoose where most of the pattern work is done. Also, the drive from St. Helens to Vernonia is really pretty.

I started in late October and got rained out the second day and had to go back in November to get the second day. Weather is definitely a factor, but if you have a little time flexibility it will work out.

I stayed at The Carpenter's House B&B in Vernonia. Nice people, good rooms and you get a discount if you are flying with Mike.

There are a handful of restaurants in Vernonia .. The Black Iron Grill and Blue House Cafe are both fantastic.

Last edited:
"...I have read all the FAA stuff on the Flight Review, and was left with the opinion that it is not possible to pass or fail a review. Your review may contain some lousy comments, but you cannot fail one...."

True, but you can get a picky or grumpy instructor who insists on repeating the entire PPL syllabus with perfect performance or he won't sign you off.. Be sure to talk to the instructor first and get an understanding of what he requires or you could spend a lot of money

I stayed at The Carpenter's House B&B in Vernonia. Nice people, good rooms and you get a discount if you are flying with Mike.

There are a handful of restaurants in Vernonia .. The Black Iron Grill and Blue House Cafe are both fantastic.

Perfect. Nice to know everything?s available close by. Thanks Bill. Going to check that out.
I figured to stay out there at least a week and in between flying and the weather do a little sightseeing. Should be able to get a few good days of flying in. Worst case I can always drive a little further.
This is getting exciting. :D

It has become a "cash cow" for CFI, to "fail" your flight review,
but not really his option. AFTER the flight review he can suggest you have more training, and you can do this anywhere you choose.
I believe one should report such CFI to the FAA to nip this in the bud, it appears to be spreading.
"...I have read all the FAA stuff on the Flight Review, and was left with the opinion that it is not possible to pass or fail a review. Your review may contain some lousy comments, but you cannot fail one...."

True, but you can get a picky or grumpy instructor who insists on repeating the entire PPL syllabus with perfect performance or he won't sign you off.. Be sure to talk to the instructor first and get an understanding of what he requires or you could spend a lot of money

Great meeting you while you were here Bill.

Congrats on nearing the end of your build.
First time builder completing a QB RV-14A in 11 months is a great accomplishment.

I was great meeting you too!

Although we aren't quite at the finish line I have to add that I've had help almost at every rivet from Phoenix. She patiently helps, keeps parts organized, etc, and small enough to twist into the tight spots :D

+5 for Seager

Mike is the best. I've trained with him three times. Once about halfway through my build, again 3 months before first flight and then again a few years later for a refresher and BFR. Vernonia is a nifty little spot, fun grass strip and...did I mention Mike is the best?

I had a great experience staying in Vernonia at the ?Ride Inn?. Very clean, just the basics, reasonable rates, with discount for flight training with Mike. I think this place got a bad rep several years ago, but current owners Jerry and Elmer have completely renovated and go above and beyond. I came in after midnite back in November- they left room open with key on the table.

Mike really is great - Loads of patience. He doesn?t let things slip- the constant correction really tightens up the skills. My first time in the -10, and first time with glass panel. Vernonia and the strip beautiful- made me homesick for oregon coast range...

Phil
Salt Lake City
RV10, finishing

but not really his option. AFTER the flight review he can suggest you have more training, and you can do this anywhere you choose.
I believe one should report such CFI to the FAA to nip this in the bud, it appears to be spreading.

Don, please do call the FAA. They?ll probably laugh. They know that cfi?s that are ?too hard? quickly get that reputation. After that they get no business. The faa is more concerned with cfi?s that are too easy. As you point out, you are free to take your business elsewhere.

Bob, While it's true you can 'take your business elsewhere' (after you've spent a bunch), the problem is the lack of clear guidance from the FAA. I've had lots of BFR's and never spent more than an hour in the air and an hour on ground. Then my regular CFI wasn't available and I got a kid just passing through on his way to the airlines, obviously not too concerned with his local reputation, who after an hour in the air made it clear he wanted an open-ended series of flights basically duplicating the PPL sequence, until everything was to his satisfaction. I immediately cancelled and did my usual 1-2 hour BFR elsewhere, but I was out the $200 for the first session.

Bob, While it's true you can 'take your business elsewhere' (after you've spent a bunch), the problem is the lack of clear guidance from the FAA. I've had lots of BFR's and never spent more than an hour in the air and an hour on ground. Then my regular CFI wasn't available and I got a kid just passing through on his way to the airlines, obviously not too concerned with his local reputation, who after an hour in the air made it clear he wanted an open-ended series of flights basically duplicating the PPL sequence, until everything was to his satisfaction. I immediately cancelled and did my usual 1-2 hour BFR elsewhere, but I was out the $200 for the first session.

I hope you?re not suggesting more FAA rules. They did exactly that for instrument proficiency checks a few years ago, with the result that the typical IPC I give is now longer (and therefore more expensive).
$200 for an hour ground/hour flying??! That should be your first clue that something?s wrong. The cfi should make clear when you make the appointment what he expects.

Another option

Thanks for posting your experiences with Mike Seager, Bill.
Planning a similar trip soon. Just wondering where you stayed. Looks like Mike is
in the boonies a little. Were hotels and resturants any problem. And how many days did your training take. I understand weather can be a real problem out there in the Northwest.

If you wish to embrace the spirit of the Northwest, look at LL Stub Stewart Oregon State Park. Rent one of their cabins just down the highway (and bike trail) from Vernonia. Lots of hiking, running and biking trails, both paved and dirt. Great Frisbee golf course, outdoor shooting range nearby...

http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=75

WINGS program a better alternative to the Flight Review

Don:

I don't know any CFIs who use flight reviews as cash cows. Any CFI who endorses a Flight Review as completed underwrites a HUGE liability - as the CFI endorsing a flight review as satisfactory you are certifying that the applicant meets the PTS/ACS standards for the certificate they hold.

The CFI does not fail a flight review applicant, he merely withholds his endorsement if the applicant's performance, knowledge, or both do not meet standards. In this event, absent the required endorsement, once the applicant's 24 calendar month window has closed they may not legally fly as PIC.

The largest area of fatal GA accidents are from loss of control which results from a lack of proficiency, knowledge (either the required knowledge is not known or it was learned incorrectly), or both. At FAAST seminars and CFI renewal events - making folks aware of and stopping this loss of control epidemic has top priority.

Recurrent / continuation training is a superior system for maintaining the required knowledge base and proficiency. It is used by the Airlines, Military, Corporate Flight Departments, the Commemorative Air Force and CAP.

As a GA pilot everyone has similar training available to them through the WINGS program. Completing the appropriate number of in-person or on-line ground events when combined with instructional flights that cover the mandated material, will automatically renew your flight review.

This is a win-win situation the pilot is better and more proficient, and in some cases, aircraft insurance companies extend a hull discount to aircraft owners who participate in the WINGS program.

If you'd like to learn more about the WINGS program here is the link: https://www.faasafety.gov/wings/pub/learn_more.aspx

Anyone who comes to me for a flight review had best know their "Ps & Qs" so to speak, not because I can, but because I never want anyone on my conscience.

If your knowledge and performance are not safe, competent, and efficient - where the outcome of any maneuver is NEVER in doubt - my signature will not appear in your log book.

Last edited:
Just got back from 3 days of transition training with Mike Seager. I'm in Alabama, he's in Oregon, wasn't sure it would work but SouthWest had $330 flights so I booked it.

I highly recommend his transition training. We spent 6 hours flying and as you can imagine it was mostly pattern work.

At the very end he turned off the EFIS and had me rep the pattern without any avionics which was a lot of fun and some of my best approaches and landings.

We did a simulated engine outs, etc.

His field is a grass strip and my first takeoffs and landings off a paved runway. Most of our work was done at a nearby paved airport.

Mike is a wonderful person and a patient instructor, wish I had an excuse to go back for more. Loved the work and the visit!

Highly recommended, 5/5 stars.

Heh.. the approach to landing at his home field is entertaining to say the least! I had a blast flying with Mike for sure!

Back