What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To Build or Not-to Build?

Lizard Lips

I am seriously considering building an RV-10 Quick Build. However I have no building experience. I have a good mechanical background, such as my MOS in the Army was Aircraft Mechanic where I cared for L-19's, L-20's, L-23's, YL-26 and various and sundry other "experimental" aircraft. (I was assigned to the Army Aviation Test Board for 3 years). I recently attended a course in California to obtain a Light Sport Repairman certificate and am certified to conduct repairs and inspections on Light Sport aircraft.

My concern is my lack of experience in building an aircraft. Built and flew large scale RC model aircraft (10 hp engines, etc) for many years, but that's models, not full scale aircraft. I hold a Commercial Pilot's license with Instrument, Multi-Engine and Flight Instructor ratings so I have a fairly good understanding of how an airplane flies.

I just worry about jumping off into the deep with a large, expensive project and wondered what you would do if you were in my shoes. Recently got married to a wonderful woman who is actually encouraging me to start the project so home support will not be a problem. Did I mention that I am 83 years old, in perfect health and plan to be around for a long time to come?

I'm not an RV-10 builder, but sometimes I help a buddy who is building a QB RV-10 and I'm building an RV-3B for myself.

It's a job, all right. Lots to do. But the quality of the kit is excellent and the plans are superb. You'll learn as you go. Ask local builders and VAF and Van's Support (which is excellent, by the way) and many of the questions will get resolved quickly.

For an introduction, you can read Chapter 5. It's available as a PDF download on Van's site under their Support menu choice. Look for Service Information and Revisions, and scroll down to Revisions and Changes. For a hands-on introduction, you can buy Van's practice kits and actually build something.

The main areas where you are on your own are the avionics and perhaps some of the engine installation. You can have one of the companies that advertise on VAF do the avionics, but even when they've sent the panel to you, there's some work to do. If you get ambitious and want to wire up your own panel, most of the major companies have very good installation manuals that you can download in advance.

Some of the things that seem to affect us older guys might be worth trying to mitigate. The first is to get plenty of lighting for your shop. By plenty, I mean really a lot. The second is that often we aren't as limber as we ought to be, and yoga helps out here. The third is that having reading glasses might be handy, and if you get a stronger pair than you need as an extra pair, it's like having magnifying glasses on.

I expect that you are entirely qualified to take on this project. Yeah, parts of it will be new, but it's just an airplane, after all. A big job to be sure, but doable.

Have fun!
Dave

Go.

You come into thie endeavor with far more relevant experience than most of us,
and a great attitude. With family support behind you, start moving.

Best of luck.

I am seriously considering building an RV-10 Quick Build. However I have no building experience. I have a good mechanical background, such as my MOS in the Army was Aircraft Mechanic where I cared for L-19's, L-20's, L-23's, YL-26 and various and sundry other "experimental" aircraft. (I was assigned to the Army Aviation Test Board for 3 years). I recently attended a course in California to obtain a Light Sport Repairman certificate and am certified to conduct repairs and inspections on Light Sport aircraft.

My concern is my lack of experience in building an aircraft. Built and flew large scale RC model aircraft (10 hp engines, etc) for many years, but that's models, not full scale aircraft. I hold a Commercial Pilot's license with Instrument, Multi-Engine and Flight Instructor ratings so I have a fairly good understanding of how an airplane flies.

I just worry about jumping off into the deep with a large, expensive project and wondered what you would do if you were in my shoes. Recently got married to a wonderful woman who is actually encouraging me to start the project so home support will not be a problem. Did I mention that I am 83 years old, in perfect health and plan to be around for a long time to come?

Building an airplane takes reasonable levels of skill in many different disciplines. After completing an airplane it becomes clear that the skills most in demand are not the ones used in the workshop. Managing time and finances are important non-shop skills. Far more important are the skills required to manage life during a built. To balance the priorities of other family members to ensure their needs are not being forgotten about is key, and keeping yourself motivated to push through the difficult times, the boring work, the times when you screw up an expensive part... THAT's the skill set that will make you succeed.

Don't worry about driving rivets or turning wrenches - those are secondary skills. Make sure you've got the right mental attitude, the right buy-in from family members and a good support network and you'll do just fine.

If you want to build an airplane, build an airplane.
If you want an airplane, buy an airplane.

I think Mel's advise is best. I will say I'm glad I built mine, if I did a quick build I would have had a hard time finishing it because I would essentially be picking up someone else's work.

I didn't have any experience either. just buy the practice kit from vans. after that buy the tail kit. by then you will know if it's for you or not.

Build it

Early in life I had a dream to build a car...took a few years but I built a Model T hotrod. Loved planes but no money for that. Later in life...mid 50's...after learning to fly...I wanted to build my own plane. I found a 7 that was almost at the quick build stage and bought it. Now, 6.5 yrs later, with 90 hrs and counting I am flying my own 7.

We have an 87 year old working on his 10th build...a 4...after a couple 3's, 8's, Rocket etc....

I agree with Mel. If you want to build a plane, build it. Don't want to look back at life with too many regrets. No better feeling than taking to the sky in your own pride and joy.
Al

Building an RV10

I completed my QB RV10 three and a half years ago. Great experience.

My building experience before that consisted of attending the EAA 2 day build class and going to Synergy building assist in Eugene, Or. for 5 days.

Synergy helped me build the tail. After that 2 years and 2100 hours of persistently working on the rest.

Like you most everyone that jumps into this is scared to death they won?t be able to build a flyable airplane in a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck with the decision.

A contrary view...

First off, I have no doubt you would be more than capable of building the airplane.

Something to consider is the enormous amount of time it takes. This will be time you will not be spending with your wife. Not only is it the time you spend building but is the time you spend researching and ordering parts and learning how to do the next part of the construction. So it's not just the building part but all the other time of your day that is required to complete an aircraft.

This is a huge time commitment away from the person you love. Even if she helps you, your mind will be elsewhere trying to figure out the next step.

If it is the challenge of building a plane that excites you and you're not trying to finish it quickly, you may be able to have both the time with your new wife and some time to work on your plane.

If your goal is to try to finish it 2 or 3 or 4 years then there will be little time left over for other things. Like spending time with your wife.

If I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't. I treasure the time I have to share with my wife. It's far more important than building an airplane.

Model builders

My concern is my lack of experience in building an aircraft. Built and flew large scale RC model aircraft (10 hp engines, etc) for many years, but that's models, not full scale aircraft. ...
The aircraft that I've seen built by folks that built RC models are usually outstanding. Not sure if they have better attention to detail, or tenacity, or some other skills that are applicable to building a full-scale aircraft, but there seems to be some strong correlation there.

Couple of thoughts...

1. Though one poster hinted at it, it'd be hard to find an opinion on this site about not building....this is originally a mecca site for builders. So youre kinda asking the choir about learning to sing.

2. Mel was succinct and correct.

3. Youre age need not be an issue, as long as you consider building an experience in and of itself. It is a very rewarding experience, more mental than physical for sure. But yeah, there are physical requirements: contorting yourself inside the fuse to do stuff, or laying on your back on the concrete floor working above your head etc. If you still do all your own car maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tire changes etc) and are good with that, then youre easy good with this.

If not, yeah, I'd go buy and go fly, and get the EAB experience by doing what the FAR lets you do on it. Thats still a never ending learning experience.

Last edited:
I didn’t build mine and didn’t want to. As a kid, I didn’t want to build the RC’s, just fly them, so I would try to get someone else to build them. But then again, I’m ADHD! But I’m definitely glad I bought one, having flown lots of different aircraft, they are the best! However, I do enjoy working on mine as things come up. You can do anything except the conditional inspection. I found several things on mine that I didn’t like and changed them. So, in a way, I did do a little construction.

Last edited:
If you want to build an airplane, build an airplane.
If you want an airplane, buy an airplane.

+1

If you are interested in building a 10, you have the skills from your background. If you want to fly places with your wife, you are loosing time by building. You did not mention your financial position, but if you can, why not do both ? - buy (or rent) a plane and see if you and your wife are really going to enjoy it. After a few flights/trips you might realize that this is or is not what you two are going to enjoy together. Also attend a Synergy build class and get started. The class will get you started off right and will help you decide if building is what you really want before you jump in and buy the whole kit. If you decide you like flying more or building more you sell off the other. The other thing this approach does is help you choose the right plane - If you are building for the build then there are probably better planes for you than the 10. The 10 will require more help, space, and money. Maybe a 7 or 12 is better for you if are doing this as a build project rather than building your future travel machine.

I dreamed about building for 10 years and finally just bought. Then I started building a 7. I am enjoying building the 7, but don't really care if I ever get it done. It is great doing the build as a hobby without having to dedicate every waking moment of my life and free time building it (which is the only way to build a plane in a reasonable amount of time). I also have a much better idea of what I want in the plane I am building because of my experience owning and living with a RV first.

Best of luck to you which every way you go !!!

The aircraft that I've seen built by folks that built RC models are usually outstanding. Not sure if they have better attention to detail, or tenacity, or some other skills that are applicable to building a full-scale aircraft, but there seems to be some strong correlation there.

In my opinion, the skills learned from building RC models completely translate to building a full scale airplane. I had built a dozen or two RC models in my youth, including a couple 1/4 scale models. To start, you learn how to do stuff. Wood, fiberglass, coverings similar to fabric, even metal, it?s all there. Systems installation, controls, bellcranks, hinges, engine, plumbing are all surprisingly similar. The way the airplanes are put together are also very similar with spars, ribs, bulkheads etc. You learn what works and what doesn?t. And yes, you do learn attention to detail and tenacity.

Let?s wind back to 1995. I was at Randolph AFB learning how to be a T-37 instructor pilot. One of my instructors shared my enthusiasm for GA and invited me to his home to see his project. He was building a fiberglass canard airplane. Sorry, I don?t remember the type. He had most of the airframe complete, but had yet to close it up. I took one look at his project and said to myself, ?I can do that! It just looks like a big RC model!?

I wish I could remember that instructor?s name and what he was building. He set something in motion in me that would change my life forever. He suggested I drive to the Fort Worth Alliance to see some big fly-in over the upcoming weekend. I didn?t even know what a fly-in was! It was there that I was first exposed to an RV. I saw a pretty little RV-4 owned by someone who would years later become a friend of mine. I couldn?t wait to learn more about this unique airplane I had just seen. Cross country, aerobatics... I was hooked and the rest is history!

Sorry if I am high Jacking..
BUT...

How do you prevent the 10 year build? What steps can you take to get this completed the soonest as practical?

Not counting the RV12, what is a realistic build time estimate for RV Aircraft? (RV10,14?)

I have read that Zenith Ch750 kits are suppose to be able to be completed in 400hrs. I think that is a gigantic crock for the average person.

I have read that a Kitfox SuperSport can be completed in 12-15 hundred hours.
Would this not put a RV build time at 5000+ hours? :eek:
Sorry if my questions are stupid. It just that I am leaning away from building an RV due to perceived long build times. And yes perhaps I am candidate to just buy one.

BUT...

How do you prevent the 10 year build? What steps can you take to get this completed the soonest as practical?

Not counting the RV12, what is a realistic build time estimate for RV Aircraft? (RV10,14?)

I have read that Zenith Ch750 kits are suppose to be able to be completed in 400hrs. I think that is a gigantic crock for the average person.

Sorry if my questions are stupid. It just that I am leaning away from building an RV due to perceived long build times. And yes perhaps I am candidate to just buy one.

First is money -- being able to buy anything/everything when you're ready for it, buying quick build kits, attending factory supported build programs, attending a builder's course vs learning on your own to learn skills, etc.

Second is time -- being able to devote significant amounts of it, non-stop. This can be mitigated by having money, but the opposite is not true.

Barring that, it's just a matter of trying to do something every day and keep the project physically close as long as possible. If you are building at home, once you move to the airport productively tends to go into the toilet unless you live no more than a few minutes away.

Last edited:
BUT...

It all depends. Build times will be all over the map. Variables are skills, tools, and money. Some people take a extremely long time redoing stuff that is good enough trying to be perfect. For the modern RV kits being shipped from Van's Aircraft, I expect completion in 1,500 to 3,000 man-hours. Some people with the skill set, tools, and time, will be done in less than 1,500 hours.

. SNIP

SNIP

Assuming you have a day job and this is your first build:
RV-14; four years. My RV-8A slow build took 4.5 years from first kit to first flight. The RV-14 is a faster build than the RV-8.
RV-10; five to six years. My RV-10 slow build (second project) took 5 years. The RV-10 is a big project.
If you get a quick build, you save perhaps a year.

My current slow build RV-8 should see first flight late summer 2018. That will put it right at two years - but I have most afternoons free to put in 3 hours or so.

Carl

Time to build

A typical man year is 2080 hrs. That is a 52 week/40 hr year. That's a real full time job (as a minimum w/o overtime)

I find builders logs from 1600-4000 hours on an RV 10. Realistically the bottom end is a Quick Build near stock aircraft, 4000 hours is Slow Build with lots of custom installs (like AC, Custom Interior, bells and whistles etc). It also varies by how completely one counts the hours. I count only those in the shop directly on the aircraft (excepting only the electrical diagrams done in the warmth of the house). I would guess that for every hour in the shop I spend an hour looking, reading, thinking and ordering that I don't count.

I figured I could spend 500 hrs/yr or 10 hrs/week. for a 4-5 year project. My actual is closer to 400 hr/yr with all of the family and home projects required. I also looked at how much I could spend a month to fund the project. At around 160K +/- project cost and 48-60 months that was $2500-$3500 per month to have a paid for aircraft without financing anything.

If you want to know how long a build will take, look realistically how many hours you can work each week, $s you can spend and do the math.
My only other comment is your history of completing long complex projects. Letting the project collect dust for weeks/months/years make for never ending builds or lost interest.
My wife tells me she is a "project person", but will loose interest in anything that takes more than 3 hours. I have routinely taken on multi year projects for most of my adult life.

Similar ratings as you. I took early retirement from the airlines. I had the same concerns as you. I decided to build a Rans S-20 Raven QB. It took me 11 months and 1200 hours. It was a very enjoyable project and you will be proud of what you create.
It has been 2.5 years and I have the bug again to build. Most likey a -14. The support I see on this forum is refreshing and will go a long way in helping you reach your goal of a completed aircraft.

Good luck!!!!
Jim

For me it was an easy choice.

Due to an illness and treatment, had to take lots of paperwork into the AME when I applied for a medical last year.

I'm at 60-y/o and didn't want to wait years to fly again, once I passed the Class III in December, I bought a flying RV-6.

Don't know how old you are, but everyone takes health for granted, just recently read a thread where a builder finally completed his build. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=156111

Would like to build a RV-8 myself, but flying is flying!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I am seriously considering building an RV-10 Quick Build.

[...}

Keep in mind, that this is a forum for Van's enthusiasts and therefore expect rather enthusiastic responses. ;) Joining an EAA chapter and talking with people who bought RV kits will probably give you a better idea of the pros and cons.

Particularly the RV-10 is a LOT of work. A slow build kit with paint, glass cockpit, autopilot, pre-fabricated interior, head-scratching and no significant modifications from the plans, should take around 2500 - 3500 hours to complete. Going quick build will certainly save quite a few hundred hours, maybe around 500 or so.

Also keep in mind, that Van's uses almost exclusively solid rivets for the RV-10, even in areas that are hard to access. Particularly with the sometimes bulky components of the RV-10, it is in my opinion desirable to have a second person available to help with riveting.

If you're looking for such a big project and have somebody available to help with riveting, a RV-10 is certainly a good choice.

If you don't need four seats and want something that is easier and faster to build by a single person and if you are willing to give up some speed, it might be worthwhile to also have a look at the RV-12: LSA (no medical concerns), pulled rivets and highly prefabricated.
Looking outside the Van's box, I was really impressed by the construction and kit quality of the also all pulled rivet Sling 2 and 4 kits, as well as the new Rans S-21. The S-21 is actually the plane we are considering to build next as it is all metal, projected to cruise at 135 kts, still capable of landing on backcountry airstrips and as it offers a big baggage area and a useful load of close to 1,000 lbs. Sling, and I believe Rans as well, also use a more modern process to cut the metal parts, what makes deburring a breeze or even unneeded. Our RV-10 kit appears pretty crude in comparison, I estimate we spent almost a third of the empennage build time on deburring, what was not much fun.

I also have quite a bit of personal experience with building a Zenith CH750 that was suggested above: In 450 hours one might be able to build the airframe, without paint and without any modifications. With paint, avionics, interior, engine installation, etc. 1,000 - 1,500 hours should be a more realistic estimate for the complete plane and similar to a Kitfox, Rans S-20, S-21, RV-12, etc..

Oliver

Last edited:
First off, I have no doubt you would be more than capable of building the airplane.

Something to consider is the enormous amount of time it takes. This will be time you will not be spending with your wife. Not only is it the time you spend building but is the time you spend researching and ordering parts and learning how to do the next part of the construction. So it's not just the building part but all the other time of your day that is required to complete an aircraft.

This is a huge time commitment away from the person you love. Even if she helps you, your mind will be elsewhere trying to figure out the next step.

If it is the challenge of building a plane that excites you and you're not trying to finish it quickly, you may be able to have both the time with your new wife and some time to work on your plane.

If your goal is to try to finish it 2 or 3 or 4 years then there will be little time left over for other things. Like spending time with your wife.

If I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't. I treasure the time I have to share with my wife. It's far more important than building an airplane.

I keep this tab open on my browser, because every time I read this particular post it hits me with a fresh profoundness.

I agree with every line, every word. It's just a step below scripture for me - seemingly inerrant, inspired, and profitable to take to heart.

Having seen one VAF'er recently divest himself via our classifieds of all things aviation in order to save himself from what had become unbalanced in his life, I take these words as a sober reminder of the potential cost if this wonderful pursuit isn't approached with fear and trembling by those of us who have a loyalty and responsibility to our families - loved ones who very well may not share our passion for it.

At age 61, this thread has inspired me to reset my expectations on a completion date for the RV-10, and reframe my ideas of how it will be used because of how old we will all be by the time the family wagon is in service. My bride knew 4 years ago when we married that I had an airplane in the backyard that I built in my garage, but she wasn't altogether on board with me doing another, regardless of the 4 seat utility. This has been a nuanced dance not without its "moments." Taking Gary's words to heart would've made for fewer of those, to be sure.

I hope I'm preaching to the choir, but let's keep our priorities straight and our families first even as we indulge in one of the most addicting pass-times I've ever known.

Years ago, like 25, I retired from selling computers and went to work at a local airport fixing GA aircraft. I had gotten my A&P certificate doing part time work years before I retired. During that work period before retirement I was in a partnership on a wrecked Arrow that took years to reconstruct. Learned to overhaul engines and did 7 before I gave it all up. One of my regrets in life was not buying and building a Vans kit. I did a survey of myself back then and decided I was more of a mechanic than a builder. I was so wrong. Today, I would do it, but at 80 my shoe laces are out of reach, much less the work of building. :(

I am lucky in this regard ... my fiance is building with me, couldn't do it without her, she loves it. How and why she puts up with me I'll never understand.

I built a gorgeous RV 6a....

....that took 6 yrs to build and loved flying and hearing it on takeoff at 2600
R's and straight pipes. Then sold it for money for another one, not to build again but to buy a anupgraded 7

If I wanted anther RV it would be bought, not built...When I started 16yrs ago there were 3000 RV's flying, now there are 10,000, and lots for sale mostly at good prices especially if the panel has glass over 7 years old. Those older glass setups stiil are effective doncha know?

Just sayin'

Jerry

Last edited:
Mr Lips,
I have recently considered this question myself, being a builder of 5 aircraft, none of them RV's, since 1980. I know the proud feeling one gets when someone asks on a ramp at an airfield, "Did you build it?" and you get to say yes.
The RV bug bit me about two years ago, deciding I had to have one. I was 60 at the time. Wrestled with the same question because I KNOW I enjoy building, but, I enjoy flying too. A year and a half ago, I found a RV9A, for sale with 54 hours on the clock..hmmm I thought, must be something wrong with it. And it was a long way from me. Looked nice in the pics tho..
Upon studying it, and looking up the N number, I discovered its airworthy certificate had been issued several year ago. How could this nice looking bird get built and not flown? I asked myself. after much consternation, I decided to contact the owner, about a year ago this month. Made arrangements to go have a look at it. It seems it was for not for sale by the builder, but by a close friend of the his. After inspecting the aircraft, and judging it was indeed in every way brand new, and a good build, we began haggleing on the price. We did not come to terms right away, and I had a motel for the night, and agreed to meet in the morning. I also asked for the builders phone number, and contacted him.
I had a great conversation with the builder, and I could tell he was proud of his creation. Finally I said, " Why are you getting rid of this aircraft?"
He then told me..
" Well, to be brutally honest, I waited to long in life. I started building this when I was about 60..took me about 5 years, then, I got sick. Due to my illness, It took me 2 years to get thru the phase 1, but I made it, then, My medical was expired, and it was obvious I was never going to get it back. So, after a while I decide to let it go."
Those words haunted me all night in that motel room, particularly since I was 61 at the time. and the next morning, I called my wife and told her I was going to buy it today, and I did.
I am not going to pussyfoot around your age, your clock is winding down my friend. Time waits for no man.

So, here is what I will contribute to your question. Practically an elaboration on what Mel said.
If you WANT to build an airplane, and you know you enjoy building..then build one. BUT,
If what you really want is Fly an RV, consider life's plans dont always follow ours, and go buy one! And regardless of how long you are able to fly, you will have had 4 or 5 years longer enjoying it in the skies.

To Build or Not-to-Build?

First, I want to thank all of you for your comments. Every one of them has been helpful.

Fortunately, I am blessed with the best of both worlds: My sweet wife is my biggest supporter. She has been my inspiration and my guiding light. I have a little Light Sport Arion Lightning (120 k cruise) that we took on our honeymoon and we fly together as often as we can. She loves to fly.

I am currently building a 24' x 30' shop building behind our house so it will be a 30 second walk to the shop to work on the plane. This should maximize my productivity. Being retired also helps with my availability.

We plan to keep the Lightning until my project is complete and then sell it. So at least when we get the urge to fly, or travel, the Lightning is only 20 minutes away.

Finally, I have downsized my expectations! Being realistic about my age, the RV-10 is a huge and expensive project so I have settled on the smaller, cheaper, easier to build RV-14 QB. Not a lot smaller, cheaper and easier but it should go together a little quicker.

My wife is already learning how to debur, dimple and rivet so this should be a family fun project. One other thing, my wife is Phillipino and we plan to go to the Phillipines next month to visit her relatives. Unbelievably, the assembly factory for Van's QB kits just happens to be in her home town so I am arranging a guided tour through the factory to observe how they put these wonderful kits together. I'l try to get lots of photos (if they will allow me) and post them when we get back.

QB factory

... Unbelievably, the assembly factory for Van's QB kits just happens to be in her home town so I am arranging a guided tour through the factory to observe how they put these wonderful kits together. I'l try to get lots of photos (if they will allow me) and post them when we get back.
That would be very cool. I have a QB, and I am really impressed with the quality. I'm sure if they will let you hang out a while, you will learn a lot from them. There are some real craftsman on that team.

I am amazed at the intelligent, helpful guidance by builders and pilots here. My personal situation was I had too much going on in life, always wanted to build, finally got started in my mid 70s and as I dragged it on and on, got too old to fly. Now at 80 got to sell out.
No regrets, I have had an incredible life, building a plane was part of it. I marvel at the fact that while I built it, others my age were doing nothing more exciting than making their TV remote work.

Bravo!

I like your perspective, Don. Sorry that you may need to get out now but this is something that none of us will escape. Yup, while others are eating chips and watching what others are doing on their t.v.'s; you are living the life they never even considered possible.
Bravo!

Back