What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen

Michaelpk3

Well Known Member
Anyone have ideas on where/how to get a medical bottle filled?

I took to a couple supply houses and they wouldn't fill without a script. They did tell me there is no difference in the quality of oxygen,however, aviation grade is tested for purity and water content and industrial O2 is not tested (and Av O2 ridiculous expenaive). Both places told me the medical bottle get the same O2 as industrial bottle. I called a couple doctors to get a script and they acted like I was a criminal (told them I needed for aviation). Apparently oxygen is in the drug category and people abuse it?!?

I typically use it above 10k and use to prevent headaches on long trips when wearing sunglasses with a headset.

Buy a hose...

I fill mine from welding bottles with an adapter from a vet supply in ft. Worth, check eBay...

Just ordered the adapter to connect welding tank to medical tank. I have access to plenty of O2 welding tanks.

I get my bottles refilled at Austin Medical in Cleawater. It's just 5 minutes from the airport. Since it's for aviation use, they just keep a copy of my pilot certificate on file. Refilling a D size cylinder is $15.

Anyone have ideas on where/how to get a medical bottle filled?

I took to a couple supply houses and they wouldn't fill without a script.
I typically use it above 10k and use to prevent headaches on long trips when wearing sunglasses with a headset.

A visit to an AME will get you your script. That way if you are away from home, you can get it exchanged or filled as needed.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Here in Richmond VA, the medical places AND the welding shops balked at refilling my Mountain High bottle (which is marked "aviation oxygen"). Both said I would have to do a tank exchange, it would take several days, etc.

One of the local FBOs managed to give me a short (!) fill at $65 (!!).

Then I went to my favorite scuba shop. Why didn't I think of that earlier? $10 of quick service with a smile, and a full pressure fill.

At that price, and given my pretty miserly usage with the O2D2, I've convinced myself that setting up my own transfill system would be too much $ and hassle.

Yay scuba.

Compressed air at Dive shops

Scuba shops do compressed air. Are you sure you got O2? I would be surprised to see a Dive shop with Oxygen unless they do it for specialized diving. I would double check.

Scuba shops do compressed air. Are you sure you got O2? I would be surprised to see a Dive shop with Oxygen unless they do it for specialized diving. I would double check.

It was O2. Most dive shops around here have it (don't know about elsewhere). They handle various types of fills for tech divers, fill oxygen bottles that are standard safety gear on dive boats, and also mix Nitrox, which is usually what I dive.

You do generally need to either drop your bottle off, or visit when an oxygen-certified tech is there, since filling O2 bottles versus compressed air apparently requires additional training due to the fire risk etc.

We have a group of RVers who pitch in for O2 for two large welding tanks. One of the guys bought the hoses and such years ago. Fill with one, top off with the fullest, and when the first gets low, take it to the local gas supplier for a swap.

Cheapest way to go. Remember that whatever it's called (aviator's, medical, welding) it's *all the same stuff*. All at the same purity levels, all out of the same containers of LOX back at the gas supplier.

We generally go a couple of years between swapping out tanks, and I think they're like $50 or something in that range for a swap.

Back