What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

carby air intake

crashley

Well Known Member
The RV12 takes is inlet air from under the cowls I have measured this and it is varies from about 40 to 60 degrees celcius ( 100 to 140 fahrenheit) I believe we could get a bit more power with a colder air inlet
Has anyone designed a cold air intake system to suit the RV12
ashley

It is my understanding that the warm air within the cowling is an important factor in reducing the potential for carb icing within the two CV carbs. Since there is no additional "carb heat" available for these carbs, it would seem that the ambient heat within the cowling is pretty important.

If you were to install a "cold air" intake system for the carb air some form of effective carb heat would be required. I suppose this carb heat could be provided via a traditional mixer valve set-up or either the electric or water coolant jacket options.

IMHO, not worth the added mechanical complexity and the minimal increase in power -- if any.

ps -- My old Mooney had the Ram Air option which provided an inch or so of additional MP when activated. I suppose one could rig up something like that -- system complexity and minimal benefit again being issues.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pressurize the carb with ram air. The Bing is a constant velocity design with benefit of altitude compensating mixture. Pressure would do bad things.

As it is, my 12 will out climb a C172 Skyhawk any day of the week regardless of how either plane is loaded. The 12 will also outpace a lightly-loaded Cherokee 180 running at 65% power. Loving it... :D

Back