What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear attachment sequence

Reilly

Hi
I am about to start the finish kit.
Can I start with attaching the gear legs and wheels?
It will make it easier for me in a restricted space.
Reilly

Hi
Reilly

I attached mine quite early with no issues.

Jerre

I waited until I had the canopy, wiring and avionics completed before I attached mine. I used the shipping crate the Finish Kit came in as a "workbench". It proved to be a perfect work height for the fuselage upright (for the canopy) and on it's side (for the wiring and avionics). You can't do that with the L.G. attached. Once all that was done I attached the L.G., mounted the engine and attached the tailcone.

Whatever you do, don't attach the boarding steps until you're about ready to fly unless you like barking your shins on them. As me how I know ... :)

Last edited:
I vote for NOT attaching them yet! I did, but there were LOTS of times I regretted it, for instance when you could turn the fuse up on its side for easy access, but had to do it the hard way because I had attached the landing gear.

I put mine on as soon as I had the floor ribs and bottom skin attached to the bulkhead. I also recommend leaving the side skins off around the cockpit as long as possible. I clecoed them for support of the structure and pulled them off for access until I was convinced I had everything in that needed access.

Hi
Reilly

Definitely do the wiring before putting the gear legs on. It helps immensely to be able to turn the fuse on its side.

Jerre

Back