What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hydraulic Lift for RV12

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
A year or so ago it seems, someone posted modifying a Harbor Freight motorcycle/ATV lift to lift en entire RV12. I bought the lift, but cannot find the thread that described how to modify it for aircraft use. Can anybody help? Below is a photo of the lift that was used, with a 1500 lb capacity, it should do the trick with ease. Hangar got flooded, need to repack and clean all the wheel bearings.
fpcns0.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Here's one thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=121914&highlight=lift

If I were to do this, I guess I would build a relatively flat wooden cradle that supported the aircraft at the two transverse saw-horse bulkhead positions delineated in the RV-12 service manual -- use some carpeting for skin protection.

To do my wheel work I place a homemade hydraulic jack stand at the wing tiedown bolt and individually lift each wheel. For the nose wheel I use a cheap come-a-long between the tail tiedown ring and a hard-point (or heavy weight) on the hangar floor.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe, I have the modified saw horses as well, work great. In looking for a way to do it myself, and lift all wheels at once, this sure seems sweet. Just have to carefully figure out how to pad the lift with carpet, and be SURE you put it in the exact right place.

Don,
I use one to lift my 9A. It works great. What I did was build a wooden box about 12"x12"x24". I cant remember exact measurements but just make the box so you need to lift about 4" and not too wide to hit antennas. I then put a 2" piece of blue foam on top of the box. It is not stable enough to work on the plane while it is in the air, but works great to work on the wheel pants, brakes, or change tire. I dont even use the handle to pump the jack it goes up so easy.

If I were home, I would take a picture. It will take several times to figure out the balance point. I made a mark with a felt pen on mine so I can easily go up again.

Have fun!

Dealing with the presence of the belly-mounted comm antenna will likely be a bit of a challenge.

Using an engine lift to change tires

Has anyone ever used the wing lift points and an engine lift to lift and support the plane when changing tires?

Has anyone ever used the wing lift points and an engine lift to lift and support the plane when changing tires?

I?ve never used an engine lift, but that does seem innovative and should work fine if you?re doing one wing at a time. I?ve considered using a strong back and lifting the airplane from both wings with an overhead crane, but havn?t got around to it yet.

I do use the wing tie down points (the lift points are simply the top side of the same threaded point) and just jack it up with a Harbor Freight long bottle jack using hard points in place of tie-down hooks in the wing.

I built a set of wing jacks using a couple tall, thin Harbor Freight bottle jacks and a combination of channel and angle iron, and even added some fine HF swivel roller wheels. I strap the tail tie-down to a floor mounted eyebolt, although a heavy weight tied to the tail will do the same thing. I?m into the whole setup for <$200. This way, I lift the whole airplane and can do all three wheels at once if desired.

Of course, the truly low-cost, easy option is really the Van?s recommended 25? saw horses...with some padding - for that my favorite aircraft construction tool supply store, HF, has moving blanket for $4 each, which make great padding.

Back