What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to Get Your New RV12 Home

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed following along and has me itching to see the country similarly when mine is done.

I too agree, there are some strange people on the planet when they have a window seat on an airliner and keep the shade shut, i just cringe. What a shame.

Great writeup!

What a great writeup! The photos were amazing, and you commentary had me chuckling. Thanks for the link!

Don, what about your other RV-12, I don't see it in your signature. Just curious after following your build and blog over the years. :)

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Bob's story, quite a journey! And what a great thing to do for a fellow RV-12 owner, fantastic. It took me a few minutes to realize what I was reading, but once I figured out that Bob was basically ferrying a plane to Texas for you (and that it happened a year ago), it made it even better. So he was actually flying over my house (I live in NorCal) in May, 2017 about the same time I was doing my first flight! Kudos to Bob and thanks for sharing Don!

Killing it

Bob (I hope he sees this),

Well thanks for killing an hour of my morning. I figured "I'll just take a quick peek", then got sucked into the story and pictures.

You write in a very engaging style, and your pictures are great.

But above all else, I really appreciated being able to share your thought processes as you made the trip.

There is a lot for me to learn there, and so it ended up being time well spent.

Thanks for sharing this Don!

Good Stuff.

Thanks for sharing Don, and thanks for your blog Bob! Thoroughly enjoyed it. I too lost an hour or so reading. No matter its a bleak rainy afternoon here in Melbourne Oz. Too cold to be building planes in the workshop.:):)

I made a similar trip in late July 2015 after purchasing my 1973 Grumman Traveler (AA-5). The previous owner based the plane near Spokane, WA. Basically flew east from Spokane until almost due North of Dallas, then south to Dallas and direct from Dallas to Sugar Land, TX (S.W. Houston). Flew 1 leg the afternoon of the first day, 2 legs each the next 2 days, and 2 short legs the last day. With the exception of the first day, I tried to finish up each day by mid-afternoon, before the usual afternoon storms appeared.

It was a good trip to become familiar with my new aircraft, and allowed me to build a squawk list to address with my new A&P/IA shortly after arriving home. Only one issue during the trip - the line man at my first stop noticed that the nose gear wheel fairing was crooked. So I had them call out their mechanic the next morning (a Saturday), and after working on it about 2 hours we finally decided to just remove the fairing and put it in the baggage area for the rest of the flight home.

Not a difficult trip, even though my Grumman doesn't have an auto pilot so I hand flew it the entire way. Basically just a series of 2-3 hour long cross countries.

A great way to get to know your new plane and see part of the country, so long as you are already competent flying that plane (I had been flying rented Grumman Tigers AA-5B prior to buying this plane with lots of hours in the type) and you are comfortable with 2+ hour cross country flights.

Back