What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ProSeal Clean Up

StressedOut

Well Known Member
I just had my first experience with ProSeal where I used it to bond the rudder trailing edge together. I was pretty careful with it and didn't get any on my clothes, but I did get a small amount on my hands and forearms.

This stuff doesn't come off easily I found. What do you guys use to get if off skin?

Proseal Clean Up

The best idea is to use latex examination gloves while working with Proseal. The next best idea is to use a barrier cream. If it were on my hands I think I'd just let it wear off (like I did as a kid with Ambroid glue from modelling) as any kind of solvent that would remove the Proseal would likely be harmful to your skin.

I've always used acetone, works well and doesn't seem to take any skin off

I use acetone too (used it today, in fact), but in very modest quantities.

The best solution is to wear an old (disposable) long sleeve shirt and nitrile or latex gloves.

Maybe I've been lucky, or have bad proseal, but I've had good luck applying body lotion to proseal covered skin and let it soak for a bit. Then just soap, rag and water seem to get the majority cleaned off.

Hand cleaner

The best non toxic stuff is "GOJO" Natural Orange PUMICE hand cleaner.
The stuff works great no sticky feeling on your hands when you are done.
Or find something with pumice in it, like old Lava hand soap if they still make it.

Funny, somehow I thought everyone used MEK for cleanup of tools and hands. Never even thought about using anything else.

Funny, somehow I thought everyone used MEK for cleanup of tools and hands. Never even thought about using anything else.

+1

MEK is my go to stuff for clean up of sealant tools but first I try less harsh stuff on my skin. The GoJo Natural Orange works great on the hands IF a small amount of the stuff in on the skin. Last tank sealing I did, I used Nitrile gloves with corn starch on my hands before putting the gloves on. Nothing to clean off the hands when finished.

I really never got much on my hands, only tools. I ALWAYS put on at least three pair of gloves, and peeled off a pair when moving to another phase of use.

I really never got much on my hands, only tools. I ALWAYS put on at least three pair of gloves, and peeled off a pair when moving to another phase of use.

Yes - same for working with fiberglass and resin - you'll get messy enough at some point that you want clean gloves but by that time your hands are sweaty and you'll NEVER get another pair on - just double-glove to start with and strip one off. Gloves are cheap.

Starch

Yes - same for working with fiberglass and resin - you'll get messy enough at some point that you want clean gloves but by that time your hands are sweaty and you'll NEVER get another pair on - just double-glove to start with and strip one off. Gloves are cheap.

Check out my blog for Kitplane tips. One is using corn starch on the hands before putting on gloves. I keep it in an old foot powder container.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7hyZ-sKQmtrck5qajRETlR1T0U

Clean off proseal

The best thing to do is clean it off quickly or soon. Clean off the ProSeal while it is still wet or curing. Totally easier the first few hours then later. Next day and you'll have to use the 3 week soap and water method.

Back