What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Endoscope's With WiFi: Any Recommendations?

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
The endoscope I have is for my old Android phone and since got tired of poor phone reception, I got rid of it for an iphone 7 Plus. Now I need a new endoscope and some are available with WiFi that works on both Android and IOS. The picture quality on my Android endoscope was just so so. Since I am shopping again for one, I would like something a little better in quality. Found a large selection here https://geek.wish.com/search/endoscope at good pricing but wondering if anyone has firsthand experience/recommendations for a WiFi model with a high quality picture that is reasonably priced?

I purchased this endoscope this past fall https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUR6WKA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1, which is no longer avalible, but it looks like this is the updated mode. Depstech Upgraded Semi-rigid Wireless Borescope WiFi Inspection Camera 2.0 Megapixels HD 1800mAh Lithium Battery Snake Camera. It only has a 2 mega pixel camera so the picture quality is good, but not great. The fact that the cable is very stiff allows you easily move it into the spaces that it needs to go and it will not slump down. I though, at just over $30, it was a great value. But, if you need a higher quality camera this one will not fit the bill.

I sprung for a wired one for Android (Note 4 Samsung) and have been very impressed with the image quality, clear and distinct, better than by borescope. Cost only $9.99 as I recall,

I've been using this one:
https://scopearound.com/
It works fine, and the long one (Flexible 3m) is long enough that I could use it to find a bushing I dropped into the wing wiring conduit :)

By default, it comes with its own app, but I just use it from my computer by connecting to its wifi and then logging into the web interface.
The admin interface is found at 10.10.10.1, user root, password admin
The viewing interface is found at 10.10.10.1:8080

I've got to thank you for asking this question, and making me look into these things. I have an old inspection camera from 4 years ago, which is OK, but nothing compared to what's available now at a fraction of the cost I paid.

After some research, I just ordered one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Depstech-Semi-rigid-Endoscope-Inspection-Smartphone/dp/B077XWJP2T/

The max resolution seems to be 1200P, and 2MP on all the cameras I found, but this one has a MUCH greater focal range than most. Most are up to about 2.3 inches, and this one goes up to 15 inches. If you ever used one of these, you know that the picture is great up close, but from a foot away it's hard to even tell what direction you're looking sometimes.

Cheers,
Rusty (can't have too many electronic toys)

I've got to thank you for asking this question, and making me look into these things. I have an old inspection camera from 4 years ago, which is OK, but nothing compared to what's available now at a fraction of the cost I paid.

After some research, I just ordered one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Depstech-Semi-rigid-Endoscope-Inspection-Smartphone/dp/B077XWJP2T/

The max resolution seems to be 1200P, and 2MP on all the cameras I found, but this one has a MUCH greater focal range than most. Most are up to about 2.3 inches, and this one goes up to 15 inches. If you ever used one of these, you know that the picture is great up close, but from a foot away it's hard to even tell what direction you're looking sometimes.

Cheers,
Rusty (can't have too many electronic toys)
I was looking at this one also Rusty. I have one in my Amazon cart but was waiting for any recommendations before I order . Please keep us all updated with a PIREP after you receive your endoscope and use it. A couple actual screen shots of its picture quality would be great if you could. Thanks! Dave

Semi-Rigid?

I have no experience with these cameras, but it would seem, for aircraft use, the ability for the tip to turn 180 degrees to view the valves would be essential/critical.

Do these "semi-rigid" cameras have that ability?

Carl

I was looking at this one also Rusty. I have one in my Amazon cart but was waiting for any recommendations before I order . Please keep us all updated with a PIREP after you receive your endoscope and use it. A couple actual screen shots of its picture quality would be great if you could. Thanks! Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry, but I won't really be able to post any pics, but I did play with the camera briefly this afternoon. I did a quick comparison to an old 640x480 standalone unit, and for close distances (about an inch), the old one was much nicer. That's the bad news. Resolution settings on the new one don't really seem to change the image quality, only the amount of image you see. The image may still be useful, but not as sharp as the other camera, and I'm assuming it's entirely due to the focal distance.

The longer focal distance on the new one allows a useful image out to maybe 12 inches, though they claim 15 or 16 I think. For general inspection of say the inside of a wall, this will be much more useful than the close distance only version. In fact this one is probably going to be looking for a small leak in my roof in a place that you can't see from the attic.

This probably boils down to horses for courses, and if you need sharp, very close images, this won't be the best option. If you want a more general view from more reasonable distances, it may be the only option in this price range, or at least it's the only one I saw. In either case, keep in mind that this is a cheap camera, so don't set your hopes too high.

My best recommendation is to just order it, and see if you like it. Amazon's return policy is fantastic, so there's really nothing to lose.

Cheers,
Rusty

I have no experience with these cameras, but it would seem, for aircraft use, the ability for the tip to turn 180 degrees to view the valves would be essential/critical.

Carl

I think it would be tough to maneuver one of these to see valves directly, but there's a mirror attachment that would probably help. I'll have to remember to try it on my conditional insp.

Cheers,
Rusty

Carl

The OP was looking for a high value endoscopic. And these are under $40. For inspecting the valves one of the ViVidia scopes would be best with the articulating head but they are $200 or $350 depending on the model.

I'm the not so proud owner of a DEPSTECH that worked great for about an hour Christmas morning ( different than the one linked in a previous post, mine has a orange pistol like grip) emailed product /customer support and got an email back with in a hour on Christmas Day stating that they were working for a soulsition (had to have been automatically generated) because numerous emails from me since have gotten no response and the box and or operating paper work has no phone number. Amazon said all clams need to be directed to DEPSTECH.
So I'm S.O.L. with mine.:mad:

Anyone know there phone number?

Back