What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Your best or most awesome picture of your RV sitting on the ground"

Took these with my phone. Photographer is editing the best shots. The Vett was the project just before the -8.

Wow, i bet doing the annual on that is no problem..... stop it iwas talking about the plane... i have one of those too BTW :) life is good.

Eagle's Nest Projects - Granbury HS (EN-17)

10/21/2017
Eagle's Nest Projects
Granbury Regional Airport - (EN-17) Ceremonial 1st Flight
DSC_2962-L.jpg

RV-20 Twin :)

So I landed at sunset and had to refuel, snapped a couple of shots. Next day Google Photo AI sent me this,:D
Dvse_4ekg5XALEhotF1lxdC5I8hmu6zD24JHoGRZfjxV52KinQ8g0wSQ3SrUS_7e_uGtCbVOzaLWZaUZoopJv8RuElcqw0YowUprX3gTcz-bouuaivhcCmX3vXyRakbreIe-Wrh1JfoNnYH7mYhHT0FV3jYz7G7hwrDFqxNjWIjTXmHVjdndI1z_RaPaYywBV8xSrJ_2K2PyYMb4sNmNgDaWL07mSoTfvgIB03Y6-ZRCz90J8jvKNCRIYvwkXq88DBcWq3Hdb8_sz-Y1f5-0vLR0hpmDgjV9cbnl0Koi0hisx1uadf4Jlva6n3eVrUrFbipJFkSmLPJGDTbtyWrS-JKtp4j1GLp0RrPdpjkWlvQMiHxIMnj5tmC10aJvDVFJDw2VGpcNFdoYkLUdeiv2sjX1AZwLqidsInGn5toDbkPKAFDkOnWe8oJZaUIjtvL1AJPbWMeM_-JDHxzHZMdsbQNNcAXhXxwpociNFoIUVbhiZq6DuyW-46XBlyu_y7s-NSQoiL7gfQbTiTQrcs5ouwDUVHn3WD3LkMo6cpX96WXo-AjS157uOPMWPW0vgU_957A-1F8RHTtIYPe7TvNbzl-dJjMwlOCIXyRiijZN=w1280-h657-no

Original Photos

pmGp7hrjjhlXYf4rs9jKoUDitzKz4TYY5fIpFy71lbCp4hhsRP_MZIUAhiQ9eETIRhx6Gmdjmm4NPZkfBLxzAn8_7AkDQvyNip6VYXdUdOe5PRpxeEQ_78BWs7QAjBbp8F4byZg1XBcSitsBFstWDNo8eqCsOms66nXci6cXKDg45EX8pE8vPdP9X413FWMepjzS8daHvl6DSi-b_tS9_UG95H-bMAxxOJTOZ_NtUj_sTVNmDKadiiLrjH8QJDnN8rQOHb4SgG5KCZJGZLdwUscWVlCTGBbPBb1T1M95ZZtwRX9W8NyzvgvejZa7gIhU16VBC0SMUKz7svWk-hQQ5a_Nf49C21mO4BK0SYXTEQFGSvUHGnbQNHp3VmuKtTHoANndhdsP5XjYnF7kGozsCTJ4BjkLI_s0CjDAQZKwj7vynRYXWa3CZeT_pALbLRGmnnZyyI7GqVionKNgP5hsmseBtKxI9Y1G6tpt05Nf-Fvmp397jDcaeffdKrpofnwnvw0mpnfg8NpU8GZaqzIxVFSOi6ydc3y3HjMatwJd6y9JpxSym6iLtleiCuurOG-_EBfy1yEphLA_xJJ2podGQLy_2XxcMzLBpoXwFEQn=w894-h670-no

_TURENOe1Ulk7lbPm_huq2ylK9tMROODvIuVJENYxcKtOGFEli8jvnr6Bn1SNLWK25EM8WmMftkTdH822gxQ7HCFk55_zsu2W0EKFVhOGRFQBFpoBkoTZ5yFFuwIifyu4OxBco8sITDSngoS9MgWJ-ReSFW6jvGQkD4YhAjkRN_ccRgEzpw4ioJsAQ52msrVKZWl6mqqQDVw-I5n9jZ28cZw6U2Ktg3mkSIh9PFSo8rSQ3xwXRVYeAD1g9sKNazKH7s_7Ez8eh5fVlWyvO1lfXorxXj3G-d5mdof0zqh3mxOdenNxLytl0mKLKL5jv7mNApPd2PmPDHqiBojb-sWGBooDY1aetXSnW3PyGdq8k8Y9sZO0ESPHbdFzfCrVaTuMvdzmdvP3PdszekbTqL_VPfKE_ijGMh3ZKO91i2kGYFbQFn4XMijvE33fuNInmvXNkYJ-P7vKIsodWy86F-zCOSX0d4RRuzMQ8KPZ2G0oBOrh2cnKcdjsGCukmuVZyOmiHipVBQiPlH0v_eex-bJP6F2jwe6DnP-3kO7RsX54h1ca2Z4YBbVv24GeQD7svRtXqmdeMknJ8b9WHIZ0FCi21orl-cpu1pH7xI2ABne=w894-h670-no

My wife had this made for my 50th birthday. She put it on the wall in our living room!!!

ou8.jpg

Last edited:
Topping Off With Fuel - Work Horse DC-4

Topping off my RV-6 for a local flight. 4-14-2018. Pulled up to the pump and guess what was also fueling for a flight?

Actually it was taking on a load of Jet-A to fly out to Western Alaska.
Dc4_rv6_9.jpg

There are two of these stationed here in Kenai, also a couple of C-46 Commandos. Still trying to get a photo with the C-46 and one of the Air Force C-17's or C-130's that do instrument approaches here in Kenai.

Really awesome to be driving into Kenai from the North road and see a C-46 on final with a C-130 turning base. Talk about heritage flights....

Anyway-where I work both the C-46 and DC-4 overfly my location, work stops and Mike stares out the window. Great sounds!

BTW-One of the C-46 drivers built a beautiful RV-6A that he keeps parked near the C-46.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Alaska workhorse

On ground there, back a few, watched tanker ship w/ high water line being loaded via a long 100 yd.+ dock, (w forklifts, etc.). Stumbled across it thru the trees by accident, rural area. Clear day, could see the Aleutians on the horizon.

Many years ago, as I started this build, I met a gentleman who would become a close friend. He owned a picture perfect grass airfield and loved flying, people and life. One fine summer day he took off for a pleasure flight, had an engine failure on departure and tried to turn back. Sadly both pilot and passenger were killed in the resulting stall/spin-accident. Very, very sad.

Yesterday and 8 years later my wife and I flew our finished RV into his old strip on a lovely summer day for a picnic. Very sentimental experience and I know Mickey would have loved to have been there with us.

Be careful out there and land straight ahead if needs be...

Simon

1243_A993-8231-4_C9_C-83_C1-0636_C17_D18_F5.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked my plane up from Evoke Aviation where Jonathan McCormick and crew pulled off a miracle, taking a plane that was average at best and making it look amazing. He really did an awesome job. I can't say enough! Extremely pleased!

He put more photos on his Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/evokeaviation/

N678MT.jpg

Congratulations!

That is a beautiful plane. Jonathan and his crew are true artists and craftsmen.

My RV-7A is right behind yours in line at Evoke. Hope it turns out half as nice!

That is a beautiful plane. Jonathan and his crew are true artists and craftsmen.

My RV-7A is right behind yours in line at Evoke. Hope it turns out half as nice!

Ah, so that was your plane I saw there! He's got a T-6, a RV10 and your plane there at the moment. I am sure you'll be blown away. I surely was.

Just picked my plane up from Evoke Aviation where Jonathan McCormick and crew pulled off a miracle, taking a plane that was average at best and making it look amazing. He really did an awesome job. I can't say enough! Extremely pleased!

He put more photos on his Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/evokeaviation/

N678MT.jpg

Shux if this was my plane, I would have put it in my living room and maybe even bubble wrap to make sure nothing comes in contact with it.

Beautiful plane and nice job painting it.

I am in contact with them to possibly paint mine but I prefer to have it painted before the first flight and considering they are in AL, it would be long drive to haul it there and back. I may need to reconsider my painting before first flight.

I am in contact with them to possibly paint mine but I prefer to have it painted before the first flight and considering they are in AL, it would be long drive to haul it there and back. I may need to reconsider my painting before first flight.

Having the plane painted before first flight was my preference, the advice of many of my neighbors here and the current practice at Synergy Air who assisted me in my build.

That being said, Jonathan at Evoke prefers the airplane to have flown. As I recall, his logic was that (a) he wants everything that moves to have moved multiple times and clearance issues resolved before painting, (b) the airplane is dirty even before flying it and (c) they know how to clean airplanes before painting them.

Given the Grand Champion Award issued last year to the Rocket that Jonathan painted, I deferred to his judgement and expertise.

I found that I needed (or wanted) to make some changes after phase one that would have been more difficult had the plane been painted. I tweaked my plane almost up to the date that I flew it to Jonathan's shop.

There are certainly advantage and disadvantages to each method. We painted my last RV7A before the first flight and had about zero issues, not counting the hanger rash.

My logic is that it ought to be a bit cheaper since there is no disassembly/assembly, it is certainly cleaner and less gunk to remove. Lastly, you do your balancing of moving parts once. So if one can take the time to tweak things and get them ready, painting first is not an issue. Plus your plane will not be down for another 30+ days after you got it flying.

Big disadvantage, in my opinion, it limits your choice of shops you want to paint your plane.

Absolutely stellar paint job!

Are you as pleased with how they handled all the little details as with the overall appearance? If so, I'll put this shop on my list of possibilities for my RV-14A.

RV 8 Paint Job

I don't' know if scheme yours or paint booth owner- nice, credit to both perhaps. Yrs. ago, we called that Candy Apple Red.

Amazing

I found that I needed (or wanted) to make some changes after phase one that would have been more difficult had the plane been painted. I tweaked my plane almost up to the date that I flew it to Jonathan's shop.

Mark, you plane looks amazing. These almost don't look like photos! Are they real???? Wow.

Absolutely stellar paint job!

Are you as pleased with how they handled all the little details as with the overall appearance? If so, I'll put this shop on my list of possibilities for my RV-14A.

Ken, I chose Jonathan for many reasons, but this is the biggest reason. He is very picky and detail oriented. He will be at Oshkosh if you want to visit with him

Thank you...all credit to Jonathan and crew. He did it all!

I have been following Jonathan and Evoke on Facebook for a while now (I saw your plane there too!) and they turn out some beautiful work.

Absolutely gorgeous Mark! Did you also have Jonathan help with the design work? From what I gather, Jonathan (Plane Schemer) does design work and will even supply painting diagrams, instructions, and color codes if you choose to have it painted somewhere else, and Evoke is his shop there in Alabama.

With a plane that pretty, its almost a shame to fly it and get bugs smashed on it :)

Another Plane Schemers/Evoke Aviation RV

My apologies - I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post pictures directly, so I'm still stuck in the dark ages using a Dropbox link.

We are beyond thrilled with the execution of the design the our son (a twenty something) and Jonathan came up with for the RV-7A. To be honest, I wasn't sure I would like the design, but it wasn't as far out in left field as I thought. The more I was around it putting it back together, the more I loved it.

The attention to detail and the little touches that Jonathan and his team added are incredible.

I know it's not for everyone and that's a good thing!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iexyz18x1o1gd6x/AAAQZuysAJrhmoCTLVtLNeeba?dl=0

Hopefully the link works.

Back