What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to rig ailerons for proper travel

mill2978

Well Known Member
I'm having a really hard time getting the travel set on my ailerons, 3 full work days and I feel like I'm just chasing my tail. :confused:

I put in a 3/4 inch "stop" around the bushing at the pushrod/aileron attach point based one some searching here on VAF. With that stop I'm at min up travel, however at 19deg down travel, that's 2deg over max! Any larger stop will take up travel below minimums.

If I rig the ailerons to the proper min travel point then they are both above the aileron neutral with the stick centered, and adding length to bring them back to neutral puts the travel back in(no matter which rod I adjust).

To measure that travel I put my digital level on the wing just in front of the aileron, zero it, then move it to the aileron and make sure it's flat.

Can someone describe how they did it and what they used for the zero/reference point?

Thanks

Aaron

I'm having a really hard time getting the travel set on my ailerons, 3 full work days and I feel like I'm just chasing my tail. :confused:

I put in a 3/4 inch "stop" around the bushing at the pushrod/aileron attach point based one some searching here on VAF. With that stop I'm at min up travel, however at 19deg down travel, that's 2deg over max! Any larger stop will take up travel below minimums.

If I rig the ailerons to the proper min travel point then they are both above the aileron neutral with the stick centered, and adding length to bring them back to neutral puts the travel back in(no matter which rod I adjust).

To measure that travel I put my digital level on the wing just in front of the aileron, zero it, then move it to the aileron and make sure it's flat.

Can someone describe how they did it and what they used for the zero/reference point?

Thanks

Aaron

If your wings are not installed, then the zero is when the trailing edge center is aligned with the bulk of the tooling holes in the end of the wing.

The diameter of the up stop is variable, not exactly the same for each installation. Machine the bushing to meet desired up travel.

This is a good time to ensure the aileron is in the middle of the wing and the same on both sides. If not slot and get new hinges. This will avoid the heavy wing I had. Make a new drill guide for the new hinge.

The down travel stop on mine was the up stop on the opposite side.

The wings are on. I've put the tail on a stand and set it level based on the longerons.

This is one of the last tasks to accomplish before I'm ready for the DAR.

Look at drawing 12A upper left corner for finding neutral aileron position. Set your level to 0 degrees at that position and from there set your up travel. The up travel on one wing automatically sets the down travel on the other wing. Hope this helps

Be sure to use the jig tool on each bell crank bolt to adjust the short aileron push rods to length. With the tool in place adjust the length until the aileron aligns with the holes in the ribs. This will set the correct differential throw. Once this is done center the control stick and clamp in place. Finally adjust the long pushrods between the stick and bell cranks until both ailerons once again align with the holes in the ribs (neutral position). I used the bushing stop method and had proper up and down throw. Needed only slight squeezing of one aileron trailing edge to fly hands off during phase 1.

Look at drawing 12A upper left corner for finding neutral aileron position. Set your level to 0 degrees at that position and from there set your up travel. The up travel on one wing automatically sets the down travel on the other wing. Hope this helps

My issue was not measuring from the right spot. Placing the level on the wing in front of the aileron for the zero is the WRONG way to measure travel. While this now seems obvious it didn't before.

Once I used the aileron neutral as the zero it's within spec, near max up and just under max down.

Back