What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 8/8A project!

Patience. This is the "project progress" thread....and the custom rubber ducts are my latest progress.

(Photo moved)

Last edited:
Shaping ...

Thanks Joe,

Much appreciated ... BTW - you could have gotten away with the scalloping if you didn't tell us :D

Anyway - i'm just curious about methods builders adopt to remove largish sections of alloy and get a nice straight edge.

Cheers,

Matt

test fit for gear weldments

DSCF0004.JPG

gettting there! Slow but sure.

1000 hours

Well today I reached the 1000 hour mark. 2 yrs 7 mos since I started my RV8.

I'm still working on the fuselage, mainly modifications and system installation right now.

Here is my current mini-project, rigging up a matco parking brake with a T-handle in the cockpit.
FP16052009A0000I.jpg

Here it is

Well I know you probably don't want to see another VS but here it is anyway....Ready for Final Drilling (as soon a some more tools get here from AVERY)and dimples and debur.... I know its not a lot but it sure feels good....
21c87ex.jpg

My wife asked me what I did wrong, when I walked in from the shop (smiles from ear to ear)

regards
Rich Denton

PS: One day closer to flying my dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back from Paint Shop!

Oh, I'm almost done. Here are some pic's of the fuselage and V-tail fresh out of the paint shop. My variant on the very common scheme that Randy L. and others have made popular.

P1010083.JPG

P1010084.JPG

P1010085.JPG

In case these are too big, here is the link to the pictures:
http://www.hpaircraft.com/rv8/P1010083.JPG
http://www.hpaircraft.com/rv8/P1010084.JPG
http://www.hpaircraft.com/rv8/P1010085.JPG

Paint was done by Rex Mayes at Williams Gliderport. He doesn't make a habit of painting metal airplanes in his composites shop, but he did this one for me.

Ran Engine - now to fly

We ran the Barrett IO-390 and it ran great. Had a few minor glitches to clean up and now I need to get paperwork and inspections done.
Photos to follow soon.
I've been busy flying a Piper Pacer to Alaska. Just getting settled back into building. Hope to fly by the end of June.
Stan Sutterfield
www.rv-8a.net

390 engine run

Hello Stan,

You are going to love the 390. Do you recall what the HP output was during the dyno run at BPE? Looking forward to a first flight report soon...especially the part about the chase plane not being able to keep up.

Have fun,

Bill
RV-7 N151WP
BPE IO-390
388 hours

Wall of Breakers, almost

I have tried to stick to the plans to speed up the build process and not get into a lot of modifications, but in designing my electrical system I decided to go old school and have circuit breakers. Paul's shot of his RV-8 CB panel got me going on my own. The RV-8A had a deeper area due to no gear tower so it will hold a lot of breakers. The link is to my test fit shots after riveting things were riveted together. I still need to layout and drill the holes for the breakers but I need to finish the electrical system design first.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rvg8tor&project=403&category=0&log=82842&row=1

Cheers

<<Took a while but the learning curve was steep..>>

Judging from the quality evident in the photos, I'd say you're working to a standard found high on the curve.

Keep up the nice work.

Detail on first eight flights

FYI, I've posted some fairly detailed engine info to my web site. I obtained the data during the first eight flights. The web site talks about my initial problems and shows the engine readings. There is perhaps a bit of useful info there. You can see the data at http://www.rv-8a.net/2009Jun.htm and http://www.rv-8a.net/2009Jul.htm.
The IO-390 is running very strong and using very little oil. I'm running at high power as much as possbile for the break in although that causes me to zip around the pattern at 175 KIAS.
One thing I really like is the "both" setting on the fuel selector. The tanks are feeding exacty the same amount. I like not having to switch back and forth.
I do have a number of issues to solve, but finding the solutions is fun.
I'm going to do some work on streamlining things in the lower cowl so as to improve cooling air flow and reduce drag. I'll post that info on the web site and here as I discover improvements.
Stan Sutterfield

RV Madness!

dsc01744w.jpg

dsc01746r.jpg

Hello from Georgia, I have already mounted the wings and control surfaces and they are stored waiting to be painted. Under this ugly pink cowl is a brand new, fully paid for, union built, 0-360 180 hp Lycoming engine that I'm just a little bit proud of. Getting closer everyday, but still miles from done. Still have wiring and panel glass, AP plus some rivetting and fiberglassing to do. Maybe I'll make a great leap of progress as the weather cools down a bit. Best regards, Bill of Georgiai

It's really looking......

good. I love the polish and the blue really makes it pop. I am considering the same type of scheme. I haven't chosen a color yet. (guess it won't be blue..:D). When I told my wife that I wanted to do this type of scheme (WWII) she said she was worried I would get shot down........:rolleyes:.

Great choice.

You'll be flying in no time and it's going to look awesome.

Evans.

Thanks

I hope to by flying it by the end of the year. It should be getting the fuselage invasion stripes at the beginning of next week, then it will be time to move it to the airport. With all the time and money I'm spending on this thing, my wife jokingly says I should name it "The Last Straw".;) Vince Frazier actually made up a decal for me with the name and I'm trying to decide if I want to put it on.

Fellas-

I went ahead and moved the posts concerning the "Both" position on the fuel selector over to that specific thread, in General Discussion.

I think they get merged in by "post date", but they are all there. If that's what you're looking for, that's where it is...:)

Joe

She's on her Gear!

29ygkrl.jpg

The kids help me celebrate before heading to the pool.
Now, time to get that panel done and shop for an engine!

-JT

Congratulations JT!

Your project looks great. Isn't it nice when it comes together and looks like an airplane? It always motivated me more to see a pane in the garage instead of a bunch of parts.

JT, put that picture in a safe place right now. One dad to another, you're really going to enjoy looking at it in 15 years or so. And yeah, you'll be nostalgic about the airplane too.

My little milestone; I've been beating on glass work all summer. Sprayed a primer check on 9 parts yesterday. Sure makes you feel good to see them in a solid color.

2mqkkr5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!

Dan, your fiberglass work is second to none...
I've learned a lot about fiberglass from your past post. I look forward to getting my "Holey Cowl" fitted and installed soon.

JT, what a sweet spot to be at; I dream to be that far along. It looks freaken great man!

Dan, I'll say it again.... your an artist! The level of quality beams through the photos. I can't wait to see a full project shot, I keep seeing parts of pure perfection, and it?s inspiring...

From what I have gathered, you seem to be very knowledgeable about every aspect of your project. I'm sure you have mulled it over; I wanted to know how you feel about using the longer prop spacer with that cowl and how it will effect G limitations.

Thank you gentlemen, but really, the work is nothing special.

<<I'm sure you have mulled it over; I wanted to know how you feel about using the longer prop spacer with that cowl and how it will effect G limitations.>>

It was mulled, and no prop spacer for me. Look close; that's not a James cowl. It's a standard Van's cowl with relocated/revised inlets. Doesn't need a propshaft extension.

Hi,

After working on my RV-8 for two years, my baby was ready for Paint Shop. Today they gave me both wheel pant so I could check a sample of their quality work.

Last edited:
Two really cool things last night

Yesterday was a great day. John B (jbDC9) took me up for my first -8 ride! The ride was AWSOME! I had that RV Grin going the entire time. Airplane flies like a dream. And with a different bucking bar that John let me borrow I finished up the H Stab late last night! Feels good to have something that looks like an airplane part all riveted up.

Thank John.

img0009vx.jpg

By trooper1276 at 2009-09-11

img0014bu.jpg

Lookin good Clint! You guys and those swiss cheese kits! I can't keep up! LOL

Yesterday was a great day. John B (jbDC9) took me up for my first -8 ride! The ride was AWSOME! I had that RV Grin going the entire time. Airplane flies like a dream. And with a different bucking bar that John let me borrow I finished up the H Stab late last night! Feels good to have something that looks like an airplane part all riveted up.

Thank John.

img0009vx.jpg

img0014bu.jpg

cut a hole in garage for project?

It looks like JT cut a hole in the back of his garage and the empennage is sitting in his family room! Thats committment. Stick with it, you're about half done:D

29ygkrl.jpg

The kids help me celebrate before heading to the pool.
Now, time to get that panel done and shop for an engine!

-JT

Thank John.

That's the same guy that got me hooked too!! John is gooood people!! :D

Hello, here is Remy from Paris, France
I began my RV-8 standard kit in May, and now I'm ready to begin left wing riveting.
Here is a picture of my GOLDEN WING
A bientôt
Remy, Quality controler
Paris, France
RV-8
O-360 A 3A newly overhauled
FiPXmtBiCdCPG_ETH4eUYQ

Fuselage is on the way

Just a few more days

Hi Folks,

Just a few more days and my paint would be ready, next week I will be geting all together:p

Let me know what do you think???

Last edited:
Engine is on!

Our engine is finally assembled and was hung on the airframe today!

A big thank you to Radomir for the thread and Don Christianson for being kind enough to fly down and guide us through the assembly.

Parts layed out and weighed.

Stand assembly

Engine all together and ready to hang.

Engine is on.

Last edited:
Long weekend, but worth it. Still some cutting and buffing to do, but I think it will be all right. We're going for a different look.

Real proud of this.....

Last edited:
Back