What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Improved oil funnel

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
I am sure that many of you have received that little oil spout that comes with a case of Phillips oil. It is a nice unit that screws right into the dipstick tube. The only problem is that it is to short to be effective most of the time. In the RV14, the dipstick opening is down a bit so I added an extension to one of the tubes and it works great. The addition is a short piece of aileron push tube that is bonded to the plastic bits. The plastic parts are a bit fragile but it really makes adding oil simple and mess free!

v7tlrn.jpg

Tom, you cannot put a Phillips extension on an Aeroshell quart container. It's just not right.

Plastic water bottle fits pretty well. Cut (or puncture) the bottom, insert and pour into it. Discard after usage. :)

I use one of those long nose funnels (from any auto supply).Rest nicely on the door/cowl opening, and the oil bottle fits in making it a 'hands free' operation.

Thread drift alert...

I'm more impressed with your oil door hinge. :) Looks a lot lighter than the one we've all seen for years.

Did make it, or is it a commercially available product?

Thanks,

Charlie

Here's one I found locally at our local "Fleet Farm" store. I saved pics of the manufacturer of this funnel just so I could post it. It's absolutely perfect for the RV-14. (Funnel King p/n 32855) It's more than I'd want to take traveling, but is exactly what you need for the RV-14 in the hangar. Google it and you can get it many places for anywhere from $1.49 to $11.49. Amazon prime for $7.31 right now.

For travel, I use one that you can find on Amazon by searching for "THE BEST - Flat Funnel - Silicone Funnel", for $7.95

RV1420170610-161954-016.jpg

RV1420170610-162036-018.jpg

RV1420170610-162042-019.jpg

RV1420170610-162008-017.jpg

I suppose you COULD carry it in the plan with you on trips for just that purpose. It should fit into a gatorade bottle nicely. :)

Back