What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FLIP video camera/ formation flight

jthocker

Well Known Member
Here's a link to the Cincinnati River Rats last practice session.
Camera ship is Greg "Greese" Reese.
Camera's are dual "FLIP" HD models, mounted to brackets screwed into the tie down mounts.
Kind of a long video, but hopefully some will enjoy it.
This is Greg's video, I just know how to upload to the web. It's been edited down from about an hour of raw footage. I don't know how well this is going to translate on computers, but the DVD Greg burned and supplied me with is spectacular on an HD TV.

http://vimeo.com/7015660

In the video is Bud "Joker" Newhouse, purple RV8. Jon "Mutha" Thocker red RV8. Greg "Wizz" Wilson blue RV4. Greg "Greese" Reese (aileron hinge).:D

Yes, I was "sucked", you Team RV guy's! Wizz already told me!

Last edited:
Nice Video

I'm impressed with the resolution of the Flip HD in your video. Did you use the same camera in the older videos on the site? I'm looking to buy a new HD video cam.

Thanks

Jerry,
It's a different camera. I actually bought one of the flips and started to use it, but then took it back when I heard there would be an "audio in" in the newer models. Probably depends on how you intend to view your finished video's as to which camera to get. The FLIP is cheap, simple and if the model comes out with the audio capability I'll get one again.

Regards,

Great video... made me want to head out to the airport to fly. Then, I opened the front door and it's still raining... has been pretty much all weekend. :(

Jerry,
It's a different camera. I actually bought one of the flips and started to use it, but then took it back when I heard there would be an "audio in" in the newer models. Probably depends on how you intend to view your finished video's as to which camera to get. The FLIP is cheap, simple and if the model comes out with the audio capability I'll get one again.

Regards,

Jerry,

Regards,

Thanks, Jon. I really want a new HD video camera. The size of the FLIP makes it attractive as a "put it in your pocket and take it everywhere" camera, but I agree the audio in would be nice. I would like to record some audio from under the headset. Maybe two different cameras are called for.:)

Jerry,

Regards,

Cisco just announced that they were bagging the Flip. They will support current models through the warranty period and that will be the end of them. Looks like one of the other camera choices will be a better bet.

Back