What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL or GRT EMS?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Planning a VFR panel and trying to decide on an EMS. Seriously thinking about the GRT Sport ES for the EFIS and am also looking at the GRT EMS that feeds to the Sport. But after looking at the MGL EMS, it might be good to have the separate MGL EMS display instead of feeding the GRT EMS to the SPORT EFIS. Any thoughts? Both seems to be about the same price.

Thanks

Which MGL product are you considering? That little tidbit of info is of critical importance in making this comparison.

For what it's worth, I'm forklifting out my dedicated EMS system made by Advanced Flight Systems. In its place will be a GRT Sport EX EFIS. Behind the panel will be the new GRT remote EIS. I've got all the hardware sitting there, just have to get a couple of other projects out of the way before I tackle this one.

I like the idea of having the EMS data visible on any of the GRT EFIS screens through the addition of only a single RS232 wire. Makes life almost too easy.

I was one of the first to install an MGL Mini Xtreme EFIS / EMS..... If it fits within your budget, the RDAC that mounts on the engine side of the firewall (I mounted mine on the battery holder) makes it very easy to wire the entire system and have only three sleeved wires passing through the firewall to the panel.

The unit has so many abilitys, you should go to the website and play with the XTreme EMS Simulator http://www.mglavionics.com/html/xtreme_efis.html . The screen can be viewed in DIRECT sunlight.

I have had this unit since it was introduced, without one issue.......:)

GRT vs MGL

They both seem to be very good units. I ended up with the GRT and it seems to be a very good unit - not flying yet.

I really like the MGL's design to be on the engine side of the FW, which avoids over 30 wires passing through the FW. In the end it was not that big of an issue, but I hope other EMS boxes come out that sit on the engine side. Seems much cleaner even if it requires a bit more engineering for the tougher conditions.

I recommend choosing the EFIS and letting that drive the EMS decision, since you get a lot of advantages in the integration of the two.

I like MGL for the support and the simplicity of the firewall-side EMS module (RDAC). If I was going to do it over, I?d still go MGL, but I?d put the RDAC in a different location.

Builder tip: when planning your firewall layout, make sure you visualize and draw out where your tubing, wiring, instrument, and control cables are going to go before you start sticking things on the firewall. It?s not fun trying to insert wires into terminals with a dental mirror and a pair of chef?s tweezers.

GRT Sport SX with GRT EIS

I have Sport SX with GRT EIS feeding via the one wire. Works flawlessly per previous owner ( purchased not built) and myself for past 4 years. Also, GRT tech support via phone or email is second to none. I know good tech support when I get it since it was my lively hood for 30+ years.

Neither, I would go with a Dynon D10 EMS and D100 EFIS or a D180.

You can buy a good used one on this forum from people who are installing a SkyView.

Back