What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless Steel Engine Mount?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
A friend of mine bought a new experimental airplane engine. Doesn't matter what it is or what airplane it's going on. What I'm wondering about is that it comes with an engine mount made out of stainless steel.

Every engine mount I've ever known is made from 4130 chromoly steel, right?

It just seems odd to me that someone would make a mount from stainless. But I'm not a metalerologist (is that a word?) and I'm wondering if this is safe.

Does stainless have the same properties as 4130 that it can be used as an engine mount?

Anyone here have any idea?

Much would depend on the specific grade and heat-treatment and welding process used for a stainless steel engine mount. While 4130 engine mounts are typically made from normalized 4130, they can be heat-treated to a certain degree (mostly, they are normalized), and that further complicates the picture.

Without knowing more, it's an impossible comparison -- that said, a properly engineered engine mount can be made of many materials, including wood. So the answer is: "it depends."

Dave

Ss

Agree with the previous post...it depends. It would definitely not be a direct replacement for 4130. Also, you would need to account for dissimilar metals as ss does not have the same galvanic properties as 4130. Proper engineering would be required to design a safe mount...

I have no idea whatsoever on the original question.
However, I would like to see the word "metalerologist" added to the dictionary as it's much more logical than "metallurgist", which suggests the person in question is an expert in metallic urges. Whatever they may be.

the min strength properties of garden variety stainless are about half of 4130. stainless steel is the silly putty of steel. that's why you can easily bend a spoon in the cafeteria like I did in high school.

I have no idea whatsoever on the original question.
However, I would like to see the word "metalerologist" added to the dictionary as it's much more logical than "metallurgist", which suggests the person in question is an expert in metallic urges. Whatever they may be.

From Online Etymology Dictionary,

Metallurgy, n.

1704, from Modern Latin metallurgia, from Greek metallourgos "worker in metal," from metallon "metal" (see metal) + ergon "work" (from PIE root *werg- "to do"). Related: Metallurgical; metallurgist.

Stainless

Russian Sukhoi SU26 aerobatic airplanes, entire fuselage and engine mount were welded assemblies made from a special grade of stainless tubing. The SU29 and SU31 terminated the welded structure just behind the seat and the tailcone form there aft was composite, bolted to the forward section.

Back