What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'm melting

N941WR

Legacy Member
Well not me exactly and not until Christmas.

My Christmas present arrived today, I inventoried it, and gave the box to my wife to wrap and put under the tree.

In preparation for my next project, Santa is giving me a torch set from Tin Man Technologies.

After taking the 4130 gas and aluminum welding classes at AirVenture this past summer, I decided that my next project will a stick built something-or-nother. In addition, I decided that I want to go Old School.

I am so jealous!

Having doing gas welding on body work and hammer welding for many years (decades) , I could not get it to turn out exactly right. In 20 min of watching Kent at OSH one year it all came together. You have to swing the hammer with massive velocity! I was just not smashing it hard enough.

That is a super nice little torch set. I hope the special aluminum welding goggles come with it. I watched him do some fantastic welding on 3003 thin panels with that torch.

Be sure to show us after you break it out and do some test pieces.

Yep, I got his entire kit. In fact, I had him put together a special kit that includes the 4130 and aluminum supplies. Kent has MAD skills when it comes to this kind of metal working. It made me thing that TIG and MIG was cheating and I hope I can learn to produce nice welds. At OSH, I did pretty good for not having touched a torch in 30+ years.

I can't wait to start melting stuff!

One of my neighbors is a real metal worker but does BIG stuff. I had to show him the mini-torch and hose and he was laughing!

Last edited:
Well not me exactly and not until Christmas.

my next project will a stick built something-or-nother. In addition, I decided that I want to go Old School.

Bill, you will love gas welding! I built two RV's and wanted to build a rag and tube project. If you want to ease your way into it without spending a ton of money, you might consider what I'm building. Our friend, Sam Buchanan, also built one. Check this out:

http://eaglersnest.com
http://hiwaay.net/~sbuc/legaleagleXL/index.htm

Thanks Jerry!

While that is a cool plane, it doesn't meet my desires or needs at this time.

I'm thinking of a bi-plane of some type. Something simple. Something with steam gauges. Something classic.

Thanks Jerry!

While that is a cool plane, it doesn't meet my desires or needs at this time.

I'm thinking of a bi-plane of some type. Something simple. Something with steam gauges. Something classic.

I get it, Bill. A few years ago, I picked up a Starduster One (single seat). I didn't build it, but I've maintained it, and I fly it regularly. I'm sure you've probably been on the Biplane Forum. Lot's of good stuff there too.

2eyw9cy.jpg
[/IMG]

Bill,
Look at a Hatz, classic looks, simple with lots of welding. some have been built with metal ribs and ailerons that would reduce the woodwork.

I'm struggling with what to build.

I figure it will take me 10 years to complete so it had better be LSA compliant. Some Hatz's have been built compliant as have some Pitts S1C's. The AcroSport 1 is, if you write down the GW 30 lbs and it has a 180 jp Lycoming.

Lots of choices.

Im burning metal too

Bill,
Surprised I didn't see you at the torch-n-burn forums also..I hit the class a couple times early in the morning (well done class)... I have had my torches for a long time, but got a bit rusty..and need readers to weld these days! I am doing a full restoration on a barn find 1941 Aeronca Defender I picked up last year. The fuselage was really beat up by the CTP back in the day, so I am replacing lots of tubes. Really having a blast..but..I"m glad I have the -4 to fly during this project though !

Bill,

I wish I never sold my '41 T-craft. It turns out it was a sub spotter early in the war.

We need get together to discuss this welding stuff. Check your PM's.

Last edited:
Check out the article(s) in the last two issues of Sport Aviation regarding the Hatz biplane built by Rick Hansen at KENW. Rick has built 3 Hatz and his last one he intentionally built to qualify as Light Sport. It is a superb ship!

Back