What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How long to receive the Customs Sticker?

hatcher

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the customs decal. Customs says 4-6 weeks. Was hopeing maybe two weeks. Planning an RV trip to the bahamas first week of march. Thanks

You can get the express service for I think $6 extra. Also if you are on short notice, you can take the number from the confirmation. Then use that to show proof of purchase at the time of clearing. But by all means check my suggestions for your self.

Randy Hooper

I've received mine within 2 weeks.
I believe you can also buy when clearing customs on entry back into the states.
I'd check first as It's been awhile since I've done that.

Over 8 weeks

A friend of mine at our airport went to the Bahama's for Christmas week. He ordered it at Thanksgiving. He just got it this week (and it is a 2008 sticker). Luckily the customs agent was satisfied with his explaination that it was on order and it was not an issue when he came back into the country (your experience may vary so I would NOT count on that)

I ordered a sticker in early January and it took a month to arrive. I'd pay the fee to expedite.

Also make sure you have valid passports, and do the required notification of your expected arrival time back into the US. They can fine you $5000 for not doing this.

Wow - things seem to have changed

I used to fly to Mexico quite a bit when I lived in California and the standard procedure was to buy the decal from the customs agent on the first return to the US each year.

Bob Axsom

I ordered a sticker in early January and it took a month to arrive. I'd pay the fee to expedite.

I ordered my sticker on Jan 8. When I called today the lady said it now takes 4-6 weeks to process. She also said ordering expedited shipping does not speed up the processing, only the shipping. I love our government. :rolleyes:

I ordered my sticker on Jan 8. When I called today the lady said it now takes 4-6 weeks to process. She also said ordering expedited shipping does not speed up the processing, only the shipping. I love our government. :rolleyes:

This is about right since they get slammed after Jan 1st with everybody ordering their decals at the same time.

You can no longer purchase the decal at the POE. If you arrive without a decal they will have you order it right there and give you a "fine" of $27.50, which is the cost of the decal. The initial "fine" is no big deal but the next time you do it the fine can be as much as $5,000.

:cool:

Last edited:
We've been told that as long as you carry the web receipt you will be fine. I've done this a couple times in the last couple years with no problems. Just enter UNKNOWN in the EAPIS entry & present the receipt to the customs officer

We've been told that as long as you carry the web receipt you will be fine. I've done this a couple times in the last couple years with no problems. Just enter UNKNOWN in the EAPIS entry & present the receipt to the customs officer

Maybe. It depends exclusively on the Port Director at the POE you are using. One might say it is OK while another says NO WAY. I recommend you call the port you are going to use and ask. If they say it is OK, get the person's name or badge number as a CYA in case that person isn't there when you actually show up.

If you log into the online website, I'm pretty sure it will tell you everything you need to know for the EAPIS form if you have already ordered but not received it. Enter your decal number where it asks for it, and carry your online order receipt with you. I've done this a couple of times as a Canadian coming in through the northern border, and it never raises any eyebrows.

If you log into the online website, I'm pretty sure it will tell you everything you need to know for the EAPIS form if you have already ordered but not received it. Enter your decal number where it asks for it, and carry your online order receipt with you. I've done this a couple of times as a Canadian coming in through the northern border, and it never raises any eyebrows.

Probably correct since it is a bigger issue on the southern border than it is on the northern border,

AOPA's Webinar on flying south of the border held last week states that carrying the CBP sticker receipt with you if you have not received the sticker is sufficient.

Maybe. It depends exclusively on the Port Director at the POE you are using. One might say it is OK while another says NO WAY. I recommend you call the port you are going to use and ask. If they say it is OK, get the person's name or badge number as a CYA in case that person isn't there when you actually show up.

:cool:[/QUOTE

Yep. You have to call 2 hours prior to arriving at the POE anyway.

Never had a problem with stickers. Reorder as soon as email reminder received. Couple weeks and it's in the mail box. Some AOE agents look at it some not. On our last Canadian cruise couple airplanes didn't have the sticker. CBP on arrival didn't have any questions.

email from DHS - Fulfillment Comlete

I ordered the customs sticker on 7 Jan and got an email this morning (29 Jan) stating that DHS has completed the order and it will be shipped. I expect it to arrive next week so it is about 4 weeks from order to getting the sticker.

Glad I ordered it 2 months ahead of when I will need it!:)

TJ

Back