What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connection of Pitot tubing to probe

nturner

Hi everyone. I am looking to use the Dynon Pitot/AOA probe and looking to install it in the bay outboard of the bellcrank access panel as many have. My question is how are people connecting the probe to the tubing as having the probe fitted close to the inboard rib of this bay means a sharp angle to go through the rib tooling holes. Are you using 90 degree elbows? Any pictures would be appreciated.
I will be using the Safeair pitot and AOA tubing.

Thanks in advance.

I made a rather large radius 90 degree bend in the metal tubes so that they will connect with the plastic tubes which pass above the bellcrank. I drilled two holes in the rib inboard of the bellcrank for the plastic tubes to pass through and installed the little plastic bushings there. This is the only way I could install the thing without interference with the bellcrank. Flaring the 3/16 pitot and AOA tubes was a bit dicey, but doable. I'll let you know how this works in a couple of weeks when I take to the air.

http://websites.expercraft.com/jerryc/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=39340

Seems like this has been posted before, but here's how I did my Dynon AOA probe.

loop in the tubing allows me to make the hook up outside the wing, then slip all into place. add the clamp and it's good to go.
RV-7build041.jpg

Also I used tight spiral wrap on the probe. this really stiffens the assembly
RV-7build042.jpg

Thanks Guys. I like the idea of a loop.

There has been many threads about where to place the probe but not too much about how they are connected to the lines and not many pictures of the actual connections either.

I am fitting mine at the moment on a -10 and have used some spare angle to add a bracket to the lower aileron bellcrank bracket where I can secure the plastic tubes. I intend to bend the pitot al tubes through the lightening hole and then attach the plastic tubes using the SafeAir hardware using some more angle across the hole to support. I guess it's 6 and 2 3s whether you go through the rib and loop back or do it as I plan but certainly I have no interference issues. Away working at the moment, but I can post some photos next week if anyone is interested.

Back