What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's seats set foam used

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hallo.

I am guessing if going with Van's seats set or doing it myself.
Don't want to go for a DIY if not really worth. However I guess that Van's only uses 1'' layer of Conforfoam, the major part of the remainin being a "generic" (at least to me) white foam. Does anyone know what is this generic foam name?

What is the stiffness of that white foam? Equivalent to a green Conforfoam?

Thanks.
Camillo

Van's foam is comfortfoam.

It comes with a pattern for whatever fabric you want to put on it.

In my case, I bought some cow hides and had a local auto customizer stitch up my seats.

After 850 hours, I am very pleased with them.

How much Confor foam in Van's seats?

Thank you, Bill.

Are you sure they are all 100% Confor foam?

They state on their website
"The seat cushion uses a 1? layer of space age Conforfoam for comfort and to provide some measure of protection from hard impacts. Full size upholstery patterns are provided with each cushion set."

So, provided that the photo from van's websites shows more than 1 later and only 1 in blue (that should be the Confor Foam), I suspect the remaining is not Confor foam.

Thanks.
Camillo

Contact Ron Schreck.

He used Van's foam for this record setting flight.

I figured if he can sit on the Van's foam that long, I can sit on it for four hours at a time. I have had no complaints and neither have my passengers.

cat-med_seat-foam.jpg

One other thing and I don't know if this applies to the comfort foam seat kits, the Van's seat cushions come in five pieces; two for the back rest (one small piece for a lumbar support), and three for the seat bottom.

The seat bottom has a big wedge, a one inch spacer and the top piece. I had mine stiched up as individual pieces. This lets me move pieces around, depending on the height of my passengers. (I typically fly with the wedge and top cushion but a very tall friend who occasionally flies with me removes the spacer and wedge and only uses the top cushion. For the short (~ 1 hour) flights we make together, he has not complained.

I hope all that helps.

Thank-you.
So, the white lower wedge is ... to fill the hole behind the spar. The white medium layer is a spacer and the seat itself is the upper part. Now it is clear! Thanks.
I also understand that the white layers are not Confor foam.

I needed this information because I think to buy blue and pink Confor Foam for the seat and ... fill the hole with a lighter and cheaper generic polyfoam. I believe harder or at least equal in hardness to the blue one.

Also, a DIY project allows to achieve a more inclinated seat, as per Bingelis drawing. Which in turn should be better for butt.

Thanks.
Camillo

Last edited:
Thank-you.
So, the white lower wedge is ... to fill the hole behind the spar. The white medium layer is a spacer and the seat itself is the upper part. Now it is clear! Thanks.
I also understand that the white layers are not Confor foam.

I needed this information because I think to buy blue and pink Confor Foam for the seat and ... fill the hole with a lighter and cheaper generic polyfoam. I believe harder or at least equal in hardness to the blue one.

Also, a DIY project allows to achieve a more inclinated seat, as per Bingelis drawing. Which in turn should be better for butt.

Thanks.
Camillo

Yes, you understand correctly.

I do not know foam very well. Maybe Scott or someone else will comment.

Van's foam is comfortfoam.

FWIW: Comforfoam is like the "memory foam" mattresses, some love it some hate it. I did DIY and tried several foams. My favorite cushion ended up being regular foam in two firmnesses.

Memory foam drives me mad: it is hard as concrete when cold, then loses all support once it warms up to body temperature so you end up sitting on what's underneath it anyway, except you can't shift easily because it takes a long time to re-form.

If you want to try your hand at sewing it yourself, google "Rex RX607Z" or "Sailrite LSZ-1". These portable walking foot sewing machines work quite well for small upholstery jobs. Lots of videos on youtube like this one. Use paper backing if your foam wants to stick to the sewing machine, then tear it off before installation. You can cut most foam easily with an electric turkey knife. It has two counter-cutting blades so will cut straight through soft and sticky materials.

+1 for keeping different sized cushions and pieces around. Your passengers will come in a wide range of shapes and sizes.

Last edited:
I guess I will buy some polyfoam (Styrofoam) from Spruce to fill the gap behind the spar, which has a depth of approx. 3''. This material is 2 lbs./Cu. Ft. (32 Kg./m3) while Confor Foam is 3 times heavier (96 Kg./m3). This will help me on weight saving.
My only concern is if its stiffness would be equal or better than the blue CF. I don't want to "build" the seat with a softer material at the base. I asked Spruce for advice on this.

Back