What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big, grass flying field in USA?

Steve51B

Not grass runways, but a big open field where you can takeoff or land in any direction.

Does anyone know of one in the 48 states? They used to be quite common about 80 years ago, but now I don't know of a single one. I'd sure like to have the experience of flying from such a field. Have RV-4, will travel. :)

Thanks

Interesting question. When I was a teenager at Horace Williams airport, I was told by the well experienced folks that it used to be the largest sod field east of the Mississippi. It was still sod at that time and had two of the original runways still operational.

Originally 3 runways that were 5000+ and 400+ wide. The central crossing area could have been considered an 'aerodrome' by itself.

Of course, it is a shadow of its former self with a narrow 3500' paved runway installed in the early 70's. The other runways have been cut by roads and used for University buildings.

They are still common

Not grass runways, but a big open field where you can takeoff or land in any direction.

Does anyone know of one in the 48 states? They used to be quite common about 80 years ago, but now I don't know of a single one. I'd sure like to have the experience of flying from such a field. Have RV-4, will travel. :)

Thanks

There are still many places you could play at. Alvord Desert would fit.

Alvord%20-%201.jpg

Tonopah dry lake bed (not the fenced area)

Tonopah%20-%201_1.jpg

Raquette Lake NY during a good winter. :D

Rackette%20Lake%20-%201_1.jpg

Being a Minnesota guy, I've already done the frozen lake thing- on skis, in an Aeronica Defender. The dry lake bed thing would be fun and I'll put t on my list, but the search for the all grass flying field continues...

Being a Minnesota guy, I've already done the frozen lake thing- on skis, in an Aeronica Defender. The dry lake bed thing would be fun and I'll put t on my list, but the search for the all grass flying field continues...

If you build it, they [and we] will come. :)

Back