What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 Comm transmits 4.0 won?t receive

RhinoDrvr

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I have a non-WAAS Garmin 430 in my -8. The other day, with no change in settings or anything, it stopped receiving comm. With the squelch off I can receive very broken weak comm and a lot of static. In formation with another airplane it works 4.0. My transmissions go out loud and clear no problem. I fired up comm 2 and use that to monitor. When a transmission comes in, the ?RX? on the Garmin does not light up.

My thought is that the antenna is fine since my transmissions are going out clear, and reception at close ranges is fine. I cleaned the antenna, but haven?t read any wires yet.

Any suggestions before I send the 430 off for a WAAS Upgrade/Comm Repair?

Hey all,

I have a non-WAAS Garmin 430 in my -8. The other day, with no change in settings or anything, it stopped receiving comm. With the squelch off I can receive very broken weak comm and a lot of static. In formation with another airplane it works 4.0. My transmissions go out loud and clear no problem. I fired up comm 2 and use that to monitor. When a transmission comes in, the ?RX? on the Garmin does not light up.

My thought is that the antenna is fine since my transmissions are going out clear, and reception at close ranges is fine. I cleaned the antenna, but haven?t read any wires yet.

Any suggestions before I send the 430 off for a WAAS Upgrade/Comm Repair?

Yep...check the wiring, and if that's good, swap the antennas.

Back