What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy jettison handle

For those who opted NOT to have the canopy jettison handle coming through the instrument panel, what was the modification made? Was the handle shortened somehow so it is still accessible in the sub panel area?

Also very interested to see or hear about solutions for this .. right now I just have mine cut down and temporarily installed to work the canopy release.

This is a typical mod .. cut the handle back to the sub panel and then clamp in place. This is not designed to be accessible in flight.

2porvhd.jpg

Another Option

PNBiOmpDXEiJGa9dPfK94ILMlqrfIMXyNfzKif67EwrOvnA5y09zX3WbGQlLotwFoSDWRslTQOVEOJGMi5WCH7xa6isRmxqS1Et7EO_lw7ZfyRNYg2ce6eEdgUfaRExrnbysHwXR06SO93xfTgPL1C0Z_lFO3-nQF-rG-KWJ8pEviy1w3Ut3guwRfRBySK4T0hzWh9kMGeIzgZR7QCiPQdNciiyRT6DOE2jcDJQ6UVl3bapOcmw7IMVd5z8-K1Wavz91B5vF8D8oS_6KL9i2mBXaGTJLOHN0s0YLOQeJinHU0Pu8XYQUG3j5X-4mfXEB6XK9WTJtLlfREmqL8YydOsZ_2b96NniTHBlthCBVUlNfPpdixLnGdvFFG-cIqXtmUe2LR9aWtXRz1LQ_lKOOTU6IqUW-BaHKTvGFkzRqNSxWYMMmIVkVcXrrh5a6Ug4YowvtHuVYQCIkhoyA1y5QRwi_J4DYbgA5IbSjQ5asKVrCDi7MEt4e172pwSmbehkqtGcxp-l6_b6FpUFKxR8ztm3MDcSpCCrMFPOBxcNBTz63yquNCyfPrY5y0hlpIdWdzvqP0VPvG-ymFc0AlYfeuu4VcbdGqHBoftngZj4=w800-h918-no

Another option that can be reached from below the sub panel. Used by others on this forum, not sure if it will work with the RV-14

I couldn't fit the handle above my G3X so I drilled a 1/4" hole in the panel above it and used a loop of safety wire twisted and attached to a key ring that rests above the G3X. It is not easy to pull, but it can be done. I can not imagine a situation that it would open by itself. If I can't pull the ring hard enough on the ground to open, I have access panels cut into the foreskin that I can reach in and make sure it is tight or release if needed on the ground.

I truncated the push rod at the sub panel and attached with a screw/nutplate. (Obviously with a castle nut on the screw)

I have used this feature at least 4 times to remove the canopy - I'm really glad I did it. (Cautionary note: remember to remove the canopy hinge cover plates before you remove the canopy or you will be remaking them!)

Attachments

• IMG_3922.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3923.jpg
    IMG_3923.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Use a Bowden cable and you can mount it anywhere on or under the panel.panel.

Per Ron's suggestion some time ago, we did that for our RV-7A tip up. The execution would be a little different, but conceptually this would also work on your RV-14. I know another RV-14 builder who saw our work at Synergy and planned to do the same for his plane.

Pictures are a little fuzzy but you should be able to see the T-handle bowden cable and how we modified the Van's design to work with the cable.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2cqmjduasz86rbm/AAD5x3AGnj6LHXLWj832vT8za?dl=0

Gizmo mount

Another option: I have a Gizmo Mount for my Garmin GPS pressure fit and easily removable on the panel. When removed the handle is assessable on the sub panel.

Don't really like the idea of disabling any safety-related feature. We'll probably be wearing parachutes when doing aerobatics with a passenger or just trying new stuff or exploring the edges of the envelope. Also, pulling the hinge pins may be handy for water ditching or some other emergency egress.

I just got a short length of webbing, glued a washer on each end and fastened it across the handle (see pic). The upper fastener is a thumb screw going into a nutplate, so the strap can be removed in just a few seconds, but it's secure enough in case of a panicky passenger or some clueless individual who thinks it's the heater control...:)

efjbqb.jpg

Last edited:
Yet another way to do it. I wanted to be able to use it in the future when I do aerobatics but for now I just want it secured but still have it coming through the panel.

The bolt in the first picture can be replaced with a pin in the future. For flight with parachutes, pull the pin before closing the canopy. It will be part of the aerobatic checklist.

SecureCanopyRelease.jpg

but it still comes through the panel. The hole in the panel has been relocated slightly lower.

N626KMscr

When I built my -6 tip-up I installed the stock release handle, in flight egress was a no brainer "pull the handle". I decided that in an off field/water landing that I would release the canopy just prior to touchdown. With my -7 slider, inflight egress would be to unlatch canopy and figure it will go "away" in some form or another. For an off field/water landing I installed 3/16"x3/4" McMaster quick release pins in the forward canopy rollers in place of stock AN3 bolts. The plan would be to remove the pins sometime during the approach and just prior to touchdown, unlatch the canopy and slide aft. Again, figuring it will go away in some form or another. Hope I never have to test my theory!

Another thought in the event of an overturned a/c was to relocate the fuel vents to the wing root fairings to prevent fuel from running down the belly into the hot firewall/exhaust area. I used a 3 loop setup that I am told the Rocket guys use, no problems so far.

RV-14 Canopy Hinge Cover Set

Love the parts made by RVPlasticParts but has anyone installed the RV-14 Canopy Hinge Cover Set? I need to decide fairly soon (Before painting) either to go with this or the stock parts painted. My canopy is not going to be jettisoned in flight or on the ground FYI. (At least intentionally) :(

I bought them, but did not end up installing them because the clearance to the canopy is very close and I did not want to have a chance of canopy damage after paint. Others have used them successfully, so YMMV. :rolleyes:

I bought em, installed, haven’t painted them. I think they look fine as is.

Attachments

• 9EE4869A-F6ED-4FEB-AB85-54CB9249666E.jpg
    9EE4869A-F6ED-4FEB-AB85-54CB9249666E.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 218
Caught my canopy

I installed them and had no issues but opened the canopy recently and it got hung up. Must have moved aft over time.

Back