What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing rivets near back of W00002

Junk8

How did you guys install this row of rivets? Can't find a tool small enough to get the AN426-AD3-4.5 rivets installed. Any thoughts to share?
DSCN1109_zpscce5f9ff.jpg

How did you guys install this row of rivets? Can't find a tool small enough to get the AN426-AD3-4.5 rivets installed. Any thoughts to share?

For riveting the shop heads I would use the toe end of either of these type of bucking bars.
BB74-Large.jpg

BB30-Large.jpg

Last edited:
The RV-7 has a nearly identical situation. I used a tungsten bucking bar similar to this one. The angled end allows you to get behind those doubler rivets. I use that little bucking bar almost exclusively in the project. I even bucked the short -6 rivets that plug the tooling holes in the tank end ribs with it. Best $100 I've spent in a long time.

The RV-7 has a nearly identical situation. I used a tungsten bucking bar similar to this one

Yup. There will be a few places like these and this would be another example where I also used the angle end of my tungsten bar. This one rivet in the flap rib was directly under the nutplate. Great bar for limited spaces.

Problem:
16019265884e722e24aae50.mid.jpg

Solution:
886121814e722e24ad560.mid.jpg

I referenced the first two because those are the "standard" bucking bars in the tool kits. In case you don't have/want the tungsten bar.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was locked in on back riveting and forgot about using a mushroom head and attacking from a different angle. I will also look for a tungsten bar, they sound great. Finally secured a 1x2 ft piece of steel for my back rivet plate.

Thanks, I was locked in on back riveting and forgot about using a mushroom head and attacking from a different angle. I will also look for a tungsten bar, they sound great. Finally secured a 1x2 ft piece of steel for my back rivet plate.

If you're heart set on back riveting (providing there's enough space) you'll need an offset back rivet set. Something like this from Avery.
657.jpg

Last edited:
Back