What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Twisted Back Seat Panel

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Yesterday I built the rear seat backs and installed. One of the seats (left side only) somehow developed a "twist" in it and will not freely rest on back brace evenly. (One side has a gap while the other is resting on brace.)

Is this fixable by simply drilling out the rivets and re-doing with new rivets while paying better attention to it laying flat while riveting? Or is it more complicated than that? (Like starting over with new parts?)
Pf0beTSTqIsee6t_zGQVwAqYfuwBUETNm2BydQCLRJtfxkjbiz7n-kmXWOm1BOVVyg0_RLN7qQq-smqkRJd3tViLEZ0bIPj1NMlmYKhGjjcGpl75bd386fgTp4laoth_fcndCz4Or6Os5TIGn13ZR3c20LBprwNhMz60aSgrweCtaXBgXML56xG8p2gJcWna5foal5yRGAyPXZcSIpqxfrnHTJLOPU_yrsvEh3WMuQn3SIz52Mec-5VpqXZ040BeE_iELrS8iURy00rLxwMORlpPp_O3Oxlnc8f1pdIAEj9lHSzeG6qt-2YB2moCQf3yZdMcIFgqhQlHzcKirKI59j58wp5iHUVKVtCdXfy0kBXl5TGMq6iGFw1DkQewMwhWh9uQjhLZLXUI5kkBFrW36juA2Zs7fTJ-2uVlvA37cgSYJHmjLhUP-pn6lglGpECeUJtPiXW8uGUyk2L0uA74q5wk8HvhaYeq8k7iQZjDoHpI9Ip9Hf1Qots6KupNxXyZDqd1VmJhL_s8mwU75xmJSYR-MUUgA9jwOREmaWVMfY8ExAl635mehy2cVKy-QpuHdRVMfMrzrm0T-e7v_27ixmdIRJIPxhy_SNwXfThylOXYRSrAf6fyTZFKJ_dQ0Ahbc7KLQxBKz3YaJ_1p7JCeH5NGDxn2dReqgi0xYkVDrQDnd0l2xc792XFeTLjhtmg1tzXAf5AfPu8Kl6s7YFk=w302-h402-no

You probably could hold it flat and re-rivet. But...

What happens if you sit in the seat and lean back? Does it relax to the right shape? If so, I might not worry about it.

And before I worried much about it, I'd clamp it to something and lean on it a bit. This isn't a highly refined aerodynamic surface after all...

You probably could hold it flat and re-rivet. But...

What happens if you sit in the seat and lean back? Does it relax to the right shape? If so, I might not worry about it.

And before I worried much about it, I'd clamp it to something and lean on it a bit. This isn't a highly refined aerodynamic surface after all...

I tried leaning on it, and got some of the twist out, but not all. It'll probably "rattle" in flight if I leave as is just due to vibrations. I could velcro it down, but if re-riveting can take twist out so it'll lay flat, I think I'll spend the time to try.

Leave the seat back in the bottom hinge. Pull it away from the back brace a couple inches holding it at the top and twist it flat by pulling with your right hand while pushing with your left. With a little persuasion you should have no trouble getting it to seat flat at the brace.

Leave the seat back in the bottom hinge. Pull it away from the back brace a couple inches holding it at the top and twist it flat by pulling with your right hand while pushing with your left. With a little persuasion you should have no trouble getting it to seat flat at the brace.

Tried this already, with little change. Today, tried it again and applied force until I thought something was going to "pull apart" from twisting so hard. But, it worked this time! Now it nestles in nice and flat!

Sometimes the simplest of solutions don't seem as simple when you're in the midst of the problem. Thanks to all for responding.

I was going to offer you mine. I have two assembled seat backs I won't be needing since I bought some aftermarket rear seat backs a short while ago from the classifieds here. If they'd help, let me know.

I was going to offer you mine. I have two assembled seat backs I won't be needing since I bought some aftermarket rear seat backs a short while ago from the classifieds here. If they'd help, let me know.

Thanks for offer! Very generous. Got the seats painted yesterday, all is good now!

Back