What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X non-touch AP/LOC failure to couple

JamesClarkIV

I?ve been suffering this issue since mid 2019 after a G3x firmware update and GTN650 firmware update

AP will fly 650 VOR in NAV mode
AP will fly 650 ILS in NAV and APR mode
AP will fly SL30 VOR in NAV mode
AP will fly SL30 ILS in NAV and APR mode
AP will NOT couple to LOC from SL30 or 650 however CDI will display and hand flying works fine

I have new data from flying recently after another GTN650 nav DB update and a G3x nav data update.

The failure of the AP to be able to couple to a valid localizer signal is now occurring on multiple different localizer signals at multiple airports. It will couple to ILS (LOC+GS) just fine from both sources

What could be causing this? Can we rule out wiring errors since the ILS works fine? Could it be a config page setting in the G3x setup being set wrong? Is it worth forced reverting to a G3x firmware from prior to when this first started occurring? Or is this garmin DB related (as the last round of email questions from garmin seemed to be focusing on)

I had a CFII fly the setup today and he reported same thing: AP works on 650 and SL30 VOR and ILS sources but not on LOC only sources. Valid working CDI display in all modes

I?m stumped.

Back