What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oregon Aero Ear Cushions

sailvi767

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried the OA headset cushions on the Bose A20. They are a bit pricey but seem like they might be a nice option for hearing aid users. Any Pireps appreciated!
George

I bought a set a year ago for a Bose Series X. I'm follically challenged, so I almost always fly with a hat. I also often use sunglasses. I've noticed both of these break the ear seal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of the headset. I talked with one of their sales people at Oshkosh who assured me these ear seals would help that. (He was bald too, so very credible.)

Oregon Aero has a stellar reputation, which is why I was so disappointed when I tried these. Simply put, they were awful! They appeared to be generic and didn't fit the headset very well. When I tried them in the plane not only did they fail to reduce the noise, they actually amplified it. To make matters worse, I misplaced my original Bose seals, so I had to spend another $20.

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect ear seal. I need something that molds around hats and glasses. The silicone seal that the early Bose came with seem like they would do the trick, but you can't find them for the modern headsets which leads me to believe maybe not.

DEM

I fly 737's professionally and love my OA conversion kit for the Bose A20. New ear pads, ear pad 'socks' and softtop. I also converted a pair of David Clark's H10-40's. Made the DC's quieter and more comfortable.

I have now used the OA ear cups in both a F1 Rocket and a Airbus. Initial impression was they are not as comfortable as the Bose however after wearing for over a hour they were just fine. I suspect they are a type of memory foam that needs to warm up. They are big enough that my cochlear implant fits entirely inside the ear cup. I suspect they would be good for hearing aid users with the mics behind the ears as the mics would not be obstructed. I thought on the airbus overall sound quality was better than the Bose cups.
In the F1 however I found the cups did not seem to seal quite as well as the original Bose and I thought that despite the Bose cups being obstructed a bit by the cochlear implant the overall sound quality was better. In the end if your a non hearing aide users I would stick with the stock Bose. If you are using behind the ear hearing aids the OA cups might be worth trying.
G

Back