What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lasar timing problem

brian257

Well Known Member
I had someone bring me a plane for a condition inspection and he had a Lasar ignition system and the Lasar timing synchronizer. This is the first time I have had to time a Lasar. The non sensor mag seemed to work fine with the timing synchronizer. When you turned the prop or mag there was a clearly defined point where the LED would turn off. The sensor mag did not have a clearly defined point. As you turned the prop the LED would flash on and off many times as you approached the timing point so there was no clearly defined point to set it.

I am assuming that this indicates a fault, but I don't know if it is a fault with the timing light or with the mag. I am pretty sure I did get it in the right place and the mag drops are both the same, but I sure would like to know it is right. Has anybody seen this indication before? I asked a few IAs I know, but neither has done a Lasar before.

Most likely it is a MAG problem.

The mag LED should go on and off just like a regular mag would. The TDC/SPEED sensor in the Sensor mag should respond at TDC.

Champion Slick Ignition designed the points and plastic cam to wear at the same rate. As the points erode away, the plastic cam should also get smaller keeping timing the same. Champion reports that it should not change by more than +/- 2-degrees over 1,000 hours of operation.

May be worth checking the E-Gap on the Sensor mag so that the points are set at the correct location.

Back