What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any PIREPs on the Kentucky Dam State Park airport?

N546RV

Well Known Member
So for the upcoming Big Solar Eclipse, we're planning on flying up to somewhere around Kentucky/Missouri to see the thing. Originally I'd planned on making it a day trip, but the more I read about crowded airports and the more I think about logging 10+ hours in a day, the more I think that's some bad decision-making.

As such, I've been poking around for spots to camp, and M34 looks pretty attractive - they apparently allow camping on the airport as a matter of course, and the airport is within the path of totality. Current plan is to probably fly up Sunday morning and camp for two nights, though we've talked about doing Saturday instead just to be really safe about our chances of having a camping spot.

So anyway, just wondering if any locals have any info about the place, recommended/not, etc. Or if you know of any alternative camping spots, that'd be great too. I'm thinking of Rough River as a fallback spot if needed, though we'd have to fly somewhere else day-of to actually see the eclipse - not a huge problem, but not my preference.

Rough River

When I had a Velocity we had our for in there. Great place! Nice restaurant at the resort there. Walking distance

For ANY airport in the path of totality you must call the airport, now, and find out what's happening. It is highly likely that all parking is either reserved, or expensive, or both. We're going to a remote airport in OR (Grant Co/John Day). Parking is $100, sold out. Camping is $165, sold out.

Partner called the state park office yesterday (270-362-4271) and was told there were no reservations for the airport camping - first come, first served. But she also said she felt like the person she talked to seemed hesitant/maybe not knowlegeable. I figure I'll give em a call tomorrow and try to ask more questions.

If it really is no reservations, that's kinda why we were considering arriving Saturday instead of Sunday.

Back