What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some advice....

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I recently hung the engine and noticed that the oil pressure fitting over the right mag was touching the engine mount.

I'll have to remove the engine from the mount and find a new location for the oil pressure fitting.

There is a location above the oil cooler return line fitting that previously had a fitting on it...it's plugged now. Would that be a suitable spot for the oil pressure fitting?

Problem location.

730181.jpg

Proposed location above the oil cooler return line.

70xu7q.jpg

Thanks

Don

Why is the brass weatherhead fitting screwed on the right side? Normally that's a 45 degree restrictor screwed right into the case. I think that's where your clearance went.

Ditch the brass - the fitting should be oriented down, to the right and aft. It's tight, but there should be clearance. You probably will have to lift the engine off the mount to get it installed.

Dan

Don, when I did mine, there were 2 ports to choose from for the 45? restrictor fitting. I chose the one to the left, right above the right mag. It's seen in this picture with the red cap over the fitting that I pulled off to install the restrictor fitting:

P1060154%20(Small).JPG

I could have possibly gotten away with using the other port, if I installed the restrictor fitting in first, before hanging the engine. But I'd never be able to get to it in the future if it needed to come off, without pulling the engine. Here's a shot of the restrictor fitting in place:

P1060158%20(Small).JPG

And finally, with the hose attached. Vans instructions would have you orient the fitting pointed more downward, but it would hit the mag, so I oriented it more sideways:

P1060159%20(Small).JPG

Here's a later picture, after hanging the engine. Plenty of clearance from the motor mount, and over the top of the mag:

P1060394%20(Small).JPG

I hope this helps.

Port

Many Lycoming engines do not have the aft facing port. If all else fails use the port at the front of the oil gallery, ahead of the #1 cylinder.
The 90 degree brass elbow is used on most Pitts aircraft but they have narrower engine mount cups.

Thanks folks

Thanks for the responses.

I dont have another port in that location Bruce, so it looks like I'm removing the engine and putting it over the oil cooler inlet location.....****!

Cheers

Don

Back